Installation on Windows 10 pro

Topics: Technical Issues
Mar 7 at 11:58 AM
Hi
I bought a new Surface Pro 4 with Win 10 pro preinstalled.
After the initial setup and before doing anything else I tried to install VeryCrypt (v. 1.19, / 64 bit). If I select "encrypr System/Partition drive I get the message:
"WARNING: Windows does not appear to be installed on the drive from which it boots. This is not supported. You should continue only if you are sure that Windows is installed on the drive from which it boots."
Looking around on the system I find, that the 512 GB ssD ist partitioned as follwos
  • 260 MB --- EFI Systempartition
  • 473.65 GB --- drive c: start partiion
  • 1.91 GB --- Recovery parition
    In addition it says that C: is bitlocker encrypted, which imho could explain the message
    So to use VC I have to deactivate bitlocker. Will then the message disappear and the VC Installation run through?
    Did somebody have thge same Situation/Problem
    Thanks in advance for a reply
Developer
Mar 7 at 5:38 PM
It is better to setup VC 1.20B2 or the latest 1.20B2p1
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dc5/files/beta/

1.19 has problem with rescue disk
Mar 18 at 3:46 PM
mmh, may be I'm out for an encryption overkill?
The Surface pro 4 is mainly used for travelling. For that I had a small notebook with TrueCrypt (which died) and I always copied documents forwards and backwards. Now I can use Office 365 with OneDrive in combination with my notebook, my PC and my smartphone.
Does it make sense at all to switch off bitlocker and install veracrypt to encrypt my whole notebook (system disk), e.g. to prevent theft, and to use boxcryptor to encrypt the contents of OneDrive to keep my data confidental in the cloud.
Is that encrypption overkill, am I paranoid ?
Any comment would be very appreciated.