This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Pretest fails on Macbook/Bootcamp

Topics: Technical Issues
Mar 4 at 1:10 PM
I have a MacbookAir with Win10 via Bootcamp. I started a system encryption but after rebooting for the pre-test, the laptop won't boot anymore (the system should still be completely unencrypted).

I hear the usual startup sound which then proceeds to loop but somehow distorted (sounds really bad). The screen remains black for the whole time.

I created a Rescue Stick during the process, which I can select in the boot menu (that shows up when pressing Shift/Option during boot), but the screen remains completely black as well and nothing happens. In the boot menu I can actually also select Windows, in which case also nothing but a black screen happens (no distorted startup sound either).

I also tried a Windows10 boot stick, which I can start. However, none of the options there are helpful, I tried restoring the boot-loader, but it fails, I can select the System restore point that was created during VeraCrypt installation, but this also does not make the system boot again.

How can the bootloader be restored in this case?
Developer
Mar 4 at 1:41 PM
Macbook has specific/old EFI - version 1.0.
VeraCrypt is based on EFI 2.3.
To boot windows start EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi from ESP.
It is possible via rEFInd or other boot loaders.

Note: I do not have Macbook to experiment with boot loader compatibility.
Mar 5 at 10:13 AM
After copying rEFInd on a Stick, I could immediately boot from it and start Windows via its original boot loader. Once booted, I could use VeraCrypt to uninstall its boot component and now my Laptop works perfectly well again.

Is there however a way to still encrypt the whole disc? If the VeraCrypt boot failed due to using EFI2.3, is there a way of switching it to an EFI version that my Macbook understands? Or is my Hardware just incompatible with VeraCrypt?
Developer
Mar 5 at 12:22 PM
Hi Arkus,

Probably it is not possible via simple configuration(or I do not know) Your can try clover boot loader. sequence: Clover->DcBoot->Windows (no guarantee)
The problem requires investigation and development (1-2 months and hardware)