This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

No bootable partition found..

Topics: Technical Issues
Feb 27 at 12:04 PM
Edited Feb 27 at 12:07 PM
Hi all!

We're facing an issue with VeraCrypt (1.18) encrypted laptop. The entire system drive was encrypted. There was a system crash after windows updates and the system was stack on reverting updates. I decided to reinstall system, but first had to copy user data. I've made full decryption with VeraCrypt Rescue Disk. After decryption complete, I've restarted pc, and on next start it says "operating system not found". VeraCrypt Rescue Disk also shows "no bootable partition found". Tried restoring volume header and system loader - result was the same. I've attached HDD to another PC with USB and it shows disk as "Unallocated".

Is there anything I can do to rescue user data at least? Will be very grateful for any advice..
Mar 2 at 11:10 PM
Edited Mar 2 at 11:13 PM
Because you did the full decryption, the information should all be there if you can get something to overlook whatever structural error is creating the headaches. I would see if Linux could mount the drive and copy the files to a different drive. Many Linux LiveCDs exist which can boot from the CD to a fully-functioning Linux desktop. My favorite is Puppy Linux (try TahrPup if you don't know where to start.) If you boot from the CD and the drive will open, just browse to what you want and copy it to something else.

EDIT: Upon rereading, I realized that I forgot to tell you that you actually made this worse by restoring the volume header and system loader—you wrote the encrypted header to an unencrypted volume. Recovering the information will still be possible, but you might have to get more creative.