This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Always Display Password

Topics: Feature Requests
Feb 22 at 1:40 PM
Hey everyone,

would it be possible to implement an option so that the 'Display password' switch on the mount dialogue can be enabled per default? I'm using a rather long passphrase and tend to mistype some characters. Normally there is no one looking over my shoulder while typing in my password, so I would prefer it if I could immediately see what I'm typing.

Best regards and thanks in advance
Justus

P.S.: I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 (64bit) if that should matter.
Feb 22 at 5:42 PM
Imagine situation where you get this and next time you are at the airport, you open your laptop and start entering your password staring at your keyboard in order to hit at the right keys.....
Feb 22 at 7:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I think it is very unlikely that I will have my desktop pc with me next time I'm at the airport ;-) Of course this is not an option I would use on my laptop or whatever portable device. However, I would like being able to switch it on for my stationary computers.

Best regards
Justus
Feb 23 at 12:40 PM
Justus_T wrote:
I'm sorry, but I think it is very unlikely that I will have my desktop pc with me next time I'm at the airport ;-) Of course this is not an option I would use on my laptop or whatever portable device. However, I would like being able to switch it on for my stationary computers.

Best regards
Justus
Precisely - it is unlikely that YOU will not carry your laptop at the airport..... but it is very likely that many others will do just that and this new option will pose security risk for them.
I usually dont drive with more than 60km/h, but i dont want airbags to be removed from the automobile industry, although it would serve my interests perfectly :)
Feb 26 at 4:02 PM
You are right, of course, that this option might introduce a security risk if it is not used properly. But so does the option to display the password at all or the fact that you can choose a very short/weak password - and these are implemented nonetheless. So far, I was under the impression that most (veracrypt) users are quite capable to decide about the compromise between security and convenience. And I would be really glad if we had the possibility to decide in this case as well.
Just to be sure: I'm not asking to make this the default option or enabling it easy (and without some kind of warning). Bury it in some configuration file if need be ;-) But because I don't have any programming skills at all, I would be really happy if this could be implemented somehow.
And you are right again, completely removing airbags would certainly not be a good idea. However, if you want/need to, you can disable them quite easily ;-)

Best regards
Justus
Mar 3 at 8:54 AM
This has been a grief of mine for a long time. I really don't understand why this can't be an option.
We already have auto mount options, which is MUCH more insecure.

Justus, I fully agree with you. It doesn't hurt anyone when the checkbox 'show password' is remembered.