This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

A "safe" open source password manager (?)

Topics: Feature Requests
Dec 15, 2016 at 3:25 PM
VeraCrypt is truly a great software, I think that a great complement to VeraCrypt would be a safe password manager build on the same idea, truly open source and as safe as possible.
Dec 20, 2016 at 6:45 AM
If you don't like keepass (which is "trully open source" afaik), you can create small veracrypt container (10MB is more than enough) and put .txt files with your passwords there, which is secure and cosy.
Dec 23, 2016 at 11:28 AM
testoslav wrote:
If you don't like keepass (which is "trully open source" afaik), you can create small veracrypt container (10MB is more than enough) and put .txt files with your passwords there, which is secure and cosy.
using internal container with TXT file for passwords its not as secure as many would like i am afraid.... password copied to clipboard can be easily stolen, caching txt content is something that cant be ruled out, and much, much more....
Dec 30, 2016 at 9:27 PM
Alex512 wrote:
using internal container with TXT file for passwords its not as secure as many would like i am afraid.... password copied to clipboard can be easily stolen, caching txt content is something that cant be ruled out, and much, much more....
Well, any encrypted data you have mounted can be easily stolen, cached and whatever. It is indeed something that cant be ruled out :-) Quite safe way is leaving your data encrypted and never mounting them again, but only if someone is not watching you for a long time ;-)
Feb 12 at 2:08 PM
Just because Vera Crypt is good in encrypting files and similar data, does not mean it is a good password-safe. Encryption is the base of the security and storing the data somwhere is the other similarity. However, there are dis-similarities. VeraCrypt hooks into the filesystem of the operating system. The password manager hooks into the keyboard and/or the cut-n-paste buffers of the human interface. That's a totally different system.
Feb 12 at 2:17 PM
Have you looked at KeePass?

http://keepass.info/