This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Can't choose Encrypt the whole drive

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 8, 2016 at 8:20 PM
Hello ! Just some hours ago I bought new notebook - asus ux330ua :)
First of all I of course want to set up encryption on notebook.

But there is a problem, I can't choose option "Encrypt the whole drive"
What it can be ?

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:28 AM
VeraCrypt detected the partition needed by Windows 10 for EFI booting which cannot be encrypted. Hence, the option for whole drive is greyed-out.
Dec 9, 2016 at 5:17 AM
Edited Dec 9, 2016 at 5:40 AM
I google about this - "EFI booting". I think I can't turn off this.
So, if I use first option "Encrypt the Windows system partittion", it will encrypt my C: disk or not ?

May be you can suggest for me any other solution..

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:45 AM
You are correct. VeraCrypt will encrypt the C partition. Since you do not have any other user partitions on the system drive, you are safe. Even Windows Bitlocker does not encrypt the system EFI partition.

If you have other user partitions on the system drive, you can encrypt them separately using the same password and PIM values you used for the system encryption. Then you can setup System Favorites.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=System%20Favorite%20Volumes
Dec 11, 2016 at 9:29 AM
Thx in advance. But I have a new problem. It appeared after some Windows auto updates
I can choose Win 10 here and everything will be ok. Win starts. But it is uncomfortably

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:24 AM
you can use bcdedit to remove extra boot (take care - do not remove current boot!) You can backup BCD via bcdedit /mirror.

Also you can try BOOTICE tool to edit via GUI.
Jan 27 at 9:01 PM
msconfig - doesn't help ?