This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

share encrypted volume

Topics: Users Discussion
Dec 6, 2016 at 7:38 PM
I need to keep some data in an encrypted volume on a network attached storage. The date resides in an access database stored on the encrypted volume. Normally access allows multiple user access. But veracrypt will not allow two users to open the same volume. Is there are way to make that possible?
Dec 7, 2016 at 1:32 PM
On windows you can mount container and share the mounted content, the only downside is that data you read/write across network travel unencrypted. In case of container stored on network storage you can keep your pc on to provide the share, or you will have to use other tool as boxcryptor. Btw. NASes use variants of linux, some can be customized or even replaced with debian, maybe you will be able to install veracrypt there, mount and share via samba.
Dec 7, 2016 at 4:01 PM
Thanks. I am not too much concerned about the data traveling across our network unencrypted. But I would like the data to be reasonably safe from any hacking. So, if I use a Windows PC to share the data and the PC would be on all the time, isn't that then the same as having the data unencrypted? Anybody who would hack into the system would see the share unencrypted, right? That would, in my opinion, defeat the purpose to encrypt the data.
What I would like to see is that the data is encrypted, but that multiple people can access the data (of course they would need to know the password).
The perfect solution for me would be a situation where an encrypted volume sits somewhere on the network, and multiple people can access that volume concurrently by mounting it separately on their own computers. Once mounted, the contents should act as a normal network drive, i.e., multi-user applications (for example simple access databases) should work as usual. Would that be possible if I moved the encrypted container away from the NAS to a Windows system?
Developer
Dec 7, 2016 at 7:37 PM
VeraCrypt is disk encryption tool.

You need encryption on network file system level. Disk level and File system level are different.

Note: Your requirement is correct - but this is the question of another big development project.