This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

please help a noob

Topics: Users Discussion
Nov 26, 2016 at 1:08 AM
Hi,it´s my first time using veracrypt,please forgive my ignorance and don't ignore my question,what is the stronger encryption algorithm and the stronger hash algorithm?.Thanks
Nov 30, 2016 at 12:54 PM
Just pick any, all of them are pretty secure ;-) Whirlpool is slower comparing to sha-512, so in theory bruteforce attack should take longer. So maybe it is more secure. But bruteforce is ineffective on either of them, at least today. Same goes with encryption algorithm, combination of aes-twofish-serpent is safest (because it is slowest) and if one will be broken, you still have the other 2 layers. Note, that the adversary will always try to retrieve your password by other means (keylogger, hidden camera, drone, satellite, etc...)
Dec 1, 2016 at 9:07 PM
testoslav wrote:
Just pick any, all of them are pretty secure ;-) Whirlpool is slower comparing to sha-512, so in theory bruteforce attack should take longer. So maybe it is more secure. But bruteforce is ineffective on either of them, at least today. Same goes with encryption algorithm, combination of aes-twofish-serpent is safest (because it is slowest) and if one will be broken, you still have the other 2 layers. Note, that the adversary will always try to retrieve your password by other means (keylogger, hidden camera, drone, satellite, etc...)
Sorry but in my pc it appears that whirpool is to fast that sha-512; what does that mean?
Dec 5, 2016 at 2:09 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2016 at 2:09 PM
noobboy89 wrote:
Sorry but in my pc it appears that whirpool is to fast that sha-512; what does that mean?
Are you sure you are rading benchmark correctly? Less ms is faster ;-) Whirlpool is slower (by far) than sha 512 on both intel and amd.