This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Drive is in use error

Topics: Technical Issues
Nov 13, 2016 at 7:04 PM
Lately, when I attempt to mount a drive I get an error saying this drive is already in use (or something like that). But the drive is not in use - in fact, the PC has always been only just booted. This happens 3 or 4 times until eventually VC allows me to mount the drive.

I have been mounting this drive for years without any problem, so I don't know why I am now getting this error.

I even tried upgrading my installation of VC to the latest one (v 1.19), but still the same problem.

Anyone else getting this? What is the solution
Nov 15, 2016 at 10:17 PM
Could you specify the OS you're using?
Nov 15, 2016 at 11:48 PM
Win7
Nov 17, 2016 at 11:26 PM
You could try checking the windows even logs or try "Resource monitor" to see what process is using that drive.
Nov 19, 2016 at 2:20 PM
Edited Nov 19, 2016 at 2:20 PM
u3zVtqcCZ3byWe6I9 wrote:
You could try checking the windows even logs or try "Resource monitor" to see what process is using that drive.
Yes, I guess so. But what I don't understand is

a) why has it only just started happening?
b) why it thinks a drive is busy when the drive is fully encrypted so cannot possibly be in use immediately after boot-up and before mounting!
c) why it does eventually get on with mounting it after I try five or six times

It's so frustrating!

Here is the error message, by the way!

http://www.imagebam.com/image/e3c650515702761
Nov 23, 2016 at 4:14 PM
surely someone can help with this?

Are there no VC staff/developers here?
Nov 23, 2016 at 11:19 PM
Edited Nov 23, 2016 at 11:19 PM
Could be many issues:
  1. Windows tries to access it to scan/index the drive.
  2. Windows tries to de-fragment it.
  3. Some application is trying to access it(Everything, every torrent application, etc)
  4. Most Antivirus programs scan newly connected drives, so maybe your AV is trying to scan it.
    note: probably some application is trying to read the newly inserted disk, but cant since it's encrypted(looks like junk), and just gives up after a set time(timeouts).
Nov 25, 2016 at 11:03 AM
u3zVtqcCZ3byWe6I9 wrote:
Could be many issues:
  1. Windows tries to access it to scan/index the drive.
  2. Windows tries to de-fragment it.
  3. Some application is trying to access it(Everything, every torrent application, etc)
  4. Most Antivirus programs scan newly connected drives, so maybe your AV is trying to scan it.
    note: probably some application is trying to read the newly inserted disk, but cant since it's encrypted(looks like junk), and just gives up after a set time(timeouts).
Well, I guess.. but why has it only just started doing this after some years of working just fine?

(Sorry, I know you don't know the answer to this. I am just frustrated I can't fix it)