This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

slow to decrypt = 4min+

Topics: Technical Issues
Nov 9, 2016 at 8:34 PM
Edited Nov 9, 2016 at 8:39 PM
I've just moved from Truecrypt to Veracrypt 1.19 (using twofish), I have a new Win 7 installation. I have encrypted a partition where I store data. The partition is about 52GB, 44GB of which is free.

Despite encrypting the drive only a few hours ago, I have run into severe problems that is making me rethink this software.

The first one is that it is taking a VERY long time to mount the volume - a minimum of 3 minutes and often more than 4. This makes the software impracticable - every time the screen saver comes on or I lock the pc when I leave it, it takes so long to be able to access it again. With Truecrypt, mounting was instant.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I am getting wrong PIM/password/not a volume etc errors. To counter the obvious, yes, the password IS correct, and I am selecting the correct drive, PIM/hash is automatic. The only way to get out of this problem is to shut down and restart.

Obviously, my productivity has plunged since I installed VC. I never had these problems under Truecrypt.

Are these problems normal, or is there a fix for them? As it is, I have moved all my data to another drive and am not touching the encrypted drive - which defeats the purpose of Veracrypt, but as it is, it's unusable.

I'm hoping for some quick answers because otherwise, VC will have to go.
Nov 10, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Edited Nov 10, 2016 at 10:48 AM
I use vc on many computers and laptops and during normal work disk operations are the same fast as without vc. On the slowest machine the mounting of data partition really takes a minute or so (veracrypt boot manager mounts even longer), but the work is fast then. My bet is you have faulty hardware, can be bad drive, sata controller, cable, even power adapter, or maybe some driver.

To speed up mounting time you can use PIM with value 1 and select hash alhorithm. This really speeds mounting up, because vc does not need to check all the supported algorithms, and with pim 1 use way fewer iterations. But the data throughput is the same fast after mounting.
Nov 16, 2016 at 12:46 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I don't have any reason to believe there is any hardware faults. All disks were checked for errors and were fine. There are no other irregularities in operation, and all disks read/write ok, and this is a clean OS install. This problem only shows itself at mounting of the disk, after the eventual mounting, speed of operation was normal, and there are no other problems.

I wasn't notified by email of your reply (and disappointed yours was the only one) but independently, changed the password and started to use PIM. Mounting is now almost instant (not as fast as with Truecrypt).

I really was on the point of removing VC and going back to TC until I discovered a solution. Thanks for your help though, I proved your suggestion of using the PIM works!