This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Encrypting non-system partition prevents boot up

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Oct 24, 2016 at 7:39 PM
This seems a strange situation to me.
I've had to reinstall Win 7 on to an SSD. Everything went OK until I installed Truecrypt. After creating an encrypted volume, it seemed OK, but after rebooting, I met a 'operating system missing'. I thought it was because I had relabled the 'system reserved' partition and used it for the encrypted volume before rebooting.

So, another install and everything went OK with all software working and multiple reboots. I thought about installing Veracrypt, but decided to stick with TC until everything was compete, and then migrate to VC. The same thing happened - failure to boot with missing OS message. I can't repair the install but the repair disk can browse all partitions on the HDD except the TC volume (which is empty at the moment), and can browse the reserve partition on the SDD but not the OS.

A scan of both drives hasn't shown any errors.

A 3rd install is a pain but manageable, but I can't have the same thing happening again when it comes to encrypting the data partition.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is happening? The same thing happening twice after TC is installed doesn't seem a coincidence.
Oct 24, 2016 at 8:30 PM
I had the same issue. I managed to install Windows 7 on a SSD. Follow the steps at http://www.genopro.com/misc/Installing-VeraCrypt/
Oct 24, 2016 at 9:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I think that article refers to encrypting the system disk which is not what I'm after.

I have a SSD which holds the OS only, and a HDD which has several partitions, one of which holds my data. The data partition is the only one I want encrypting.

My PC has been like that for several years with no problems apart from general slow down through an accumulation of software debris.

The problem is that installing Truecrypt seems to do something to prevent booting, even though I know only the data partition is encrypted. It works fine until shutdown and then it can't boot.
Oct 24, 2016 at 11:18 PM
The second part of the page http://www.genopro.com/misc/Installing-VeraCrypt/ shows how to encrypt a data drive only. I also show how to change the drive letters, so when the encrypted data drive is mounted, you get the same letter as before so all your apps and shortcuts are working as before.

I cannot vouch for VeraCrypt not affecting the boot, however if you do not encrypt the system/boot drive, the installation of VeraCrypt should not affect the boot sequence.
Oct 25, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Thanks Dan
I'll have a better look - I was trying to read on a small tablet before (because my PC wouldn't boot).

I have now managed to get the PC to boot. I made sure the HDD wasn't set as bootable in the bios, not even 3rd choice, and restarted. It booted, but gave me a choice of either Win 7, or Rollback Win 7. Win 7 started and I made use of a few utilities and removed the Rollback option using msconfig. HAd to do that a couple of times, but now it starts ok, except that as it boots, there is a line about booting from CD/DVD, and then it boots.

I uninstalled Truecrypt, and windows wanted me to format the partition which I did.

The HDD seems to have a MBR and not sure if it should.

I haven't installed Veracrypt or Truecrypt. I am sure TC did something to mess up the boot, but haven't got a clue what or how, because the single encryted partition is on a separate drive from the system disk and the Truecrypt volume worked ok until I rebooted the pc.

I'm a bit worried about encypting the partition now, in case it happens again, so I'm still open to suggestions