This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

my veracrypt hidden container become RAW , how to recover my files inside it?

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Oct 11, 2016 at 11:06 AM
I have no idea to recover the files inside hidden container. however the normal container is accessible without problem. however when I input password for hidden container volume, the driver appears but windows can not regcosine it, and it becomes RAW format, prompt for format it. Any help is appreciate, thanks.
Oct 11, 2016 at 3:22 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM
Did you try to mounting the hidden volume using the option of embedded backup header?

Did you make external file backup of the headers? (Volume Tools > Backup Volume Header)

When you mounted the outer volume, did you select the option to protect the hidden volume which requires entering the hidden password in the options section? If you were not protecting the hidden volume, it is possible that you overwrote part of the hidden volume's data including the primary header.

If you cannot mount the hidden volume, there is no way to recover any of the files.
Oct 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM
thanks Enigma2illusion first.
unfortunately I forgot to backup the header informaiton. its propably the part of header information maybe overwrite. but I can mount it as a drive but windows requests to format it, is it no way to recovery the files?
Oct 11, 2016 at 4:00 PM
Probably hidden container was overwritten by outer volume data.

To recover you can try any file recovery tool. e.g. R-Studio.
Oct 11, 2016 at 4:23 PM
kavsrf wrote:
Probably hidden container was overwritten by outer volume data.

To recover you can try any file recovery tool. e.g. R-Studio.
However, in order to use any recovery software to recover files within the hidden volume, you first have to be able to mount the hidden volume.
Oct 11, 2016 at 4:38 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2016 at 4:40 PM
tltse wrote:
thanks Enigma2illusion first.
unfortunately I forgot to backup the header informaiton. its propably the part of header information maybe overwrite. but I can mount it as a drive but windows requests to format it, is it no way to recovery the files?
So you are able to mount the hidden volume. Click no to Windows request to format volume.
  1. Make a copy of the dismounted file container. This will allow you to attempt file recovery with different tools starting with another copy of the original file container.
  2. Using the copied dismounted file container, mount the hidden volume using the backup embedded header. Click no to Windows request to format volume.
  3. Use various data-recovery tools such as R-Studio, GetDataBack, File Scavenger, Photorec, TestDisk etc. in read only mode on the mounted volume in order to recover as much data as possible without altering the volume.
  4. Use filesystem repair tools (which write to disk) such as TestDisk, chkdsk etc. to try to repair the volume's broken filesystem on the hopes of recovering more data.
  5. Create a new file container with outer/hidden and copy any recovered files to the appropriate volume.
Oct 11, 2016 at 4:49 PM
I have tried R-Studio, but the result is nothing. propably R-Studio can not scan such encryption container drive.
Oct 11, 2016 at 11:14 PM
Can you mount via VeraCrypt? if yes, it is possible to check via R-STUDIO the device VeraCrypt mounted.
Oct 12, 2016 at 4:03 AM
kavsrf wrote:
Can you mount via VeraCrypt? if yes, it is possible to check via R-STUDIO the device VeraCrypt mounted.
I can mount it as a drive via VeraCrypt, but R-STUDIO scan result is 0 very quickly.
Oct 12, 2016 at 8:42 AM
Is VeraCrypt volume(not damaged) scan via R-Studio OK? It is necessary to scan drive letter (not partition).
Oct 21, 2016 at 5:47 AM
kavsrf wrote:
Is VeraCrypt volume(not damaged) scan via R-Studio OK? It is necessary to scan drive letter (not partition).
Yes I scan it with drive letter via R-Studio. but nothing found.