This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Veracrypt Fails at 10.192%

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Sep 30, 2016 at 12:57 PM
I had successfully encrypted several drives. as luck would have it, the last one that this customer needed encrypted failed. The first screen after the failure says that the hard drive is damaged. I ran CHKDSK /r, which did not help. Altrix' Hard Drive Inspector reports that the drive is good. If I click defer, the errormessage is is:

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Source:Veracrypt::BootEncryption::CallDriver735".

I can't continue the encryption, and I can't back out what has been done. Where do I go from here?
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2016 at 4:24 PM
VeraCrypt performs sector by sector encryption which involves both read and write operations. That's why it discovers issues with disks that are not usually reported by other diagnostic software (for example, CHKDSK only performs read operations and other tools rely on internal drive diagnostic feature and don't scan all sectors).

In your case, the drive returned the error ERROR_IO_DEVICE (0x8007045D) while writing data and Microsoft documentation states that "May be used to indicate that the device has stopped responding (hung). The device may need to be manually reset."

Basically the drive has a problem. Either it has many bad sectors or some parts are damaged.

If you were performing in-place encryption, then you can try reversing the situation by using the decrypt functionality (menu Volumes -> Resume Interrupted Process and the choose Decrypt).
If you were creating a new volume, then simply format the disk to make it visible to Windows but it should not be used to store data.