This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Encryption of thumb stick files

Topics: Technical Issues
Sep 15, 2016 at 8:58 PM
I am new to Vera Crypt and am trying to encrypt files on my thumb stick but after I create the volume on my thumb stick (drive E) and mount to drive M: the files are still on the thumb stick not encrypted. Also it will not allow me to save into the "volume" I have to save to the mounted drive M.

I also tried to reverse the process thinking that I had it backwards having to create the volume on my hard drive M: and mount to the thumb stick E but it won't give me an option of drive E to mount to.

Ultimately I need to be able to encrypt all files saved to the thumb stick in the event it is lost/stolen etc. Please help.
Sep 16, 2016 at 5:07 AM
After you create the volume, then move the files into the volume. Please take the time to read how to use. Other folks have lost all ability to get to their files due to misunderstanding of what VeraCrypt can and cannot do. Use caution, and as always suggested - backup your files first!
Sep 20, 2016 at 10:47 PM
bksanchez - Veracrypt does not encrypt individual files. You use it to create encrypted containers that you 'mount' with a big-ass password
and you drag and drop your files you want to protect 'INTO' the mounted container. THEN you dismount the container. BUT please note
dragging and dropping only creates a copy inside the container. You MUST do a secure wipe of your files outside of the container. Doing only
a 'delete' will leave your files vulnerable to recovery software.