This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

SSD System Encryption Issue

Topics: Technical Issues
Aug 29, 2016 at 9:19 AM
Hello,
I have an issue with VeraCrypt 1.18a system encryption.

I'm using Windows 7 and my boot drive is Samsung 950 Pro, which is NVMe SSD. Drive is formatted as MBR and startup is set in BIOS as legacy mode (not UEFI). When I try to encrypt system drive (whole disk, but I also tried system partition only) the pretest fails, i.e. VeraCrypt boot loader hangs on "VeraCrypt Boot Loader" text and blinking prompt sign (I cannot enter anything). The version 1.17 also had this issue but it didn't hang, just rebooted (boot loop) without any text on screen (none that I could see).

What is the most weird - TrueCrypt 7.1a system encryption works without any issue on just the same configuration (I've cloned system image, that I restore before any tests).

Do you have any clues, what may be the cause of my problems?
Aug 29, 2016 at 1:56 PM
What is the model of your PC?

Are you running the latest BIOS firmware for your PC?
Aug 29, 2016 at 7:29 PM
This is DIY PC that has:
MB: ASUS Z97 Pro Wifi AC (Z97 chipset)
CPU: Intel i5-4690K

Newest BIOS installed.
Sep 6, 2016 at 10:32 AM
Hi,

I have the same problem with encrypt system drive.

My parameters:

Notebook: Sony Vaio SVP1321C5E
SSD: Samsung SSD 950 Pro M.2
BIOS: the latest R1044V7

Case 1:
UEFI, GPT, VeraCrypt 1.18a
problem - after restart to Win10: "The VeraCrypt system encryption pretest failed."

Case 2:
Legacy, MBR, VeraCrypt 1.18a
problem - stop on black screen during booting - without Boot Loader VeraCrypt (but I can not remember exactly)

Case 3:
Legacy, MBR, VeraCrypt 1.17
problem - as @moodyy: "boot loader hangs on "VeraCrypt Boot Loader" text and blinking prompt sign (I cannot enter anything)"

Case 4:
Legacy, MBR, TrueCrypt 7.1a
Everything OK

Thank you very much!
Sep 10, 2016 at 8:41 PM
I have the exact same setup and problem as moody. I encrypt. I reboot (everything is legacy). And it says "VeraCrypt Boot Loader" with a blinking underscore beneath. I've let it sit for an hour and nothing happens. I've trid setting PIM=1 and same problem. Wondering if its something wierd because of the Samsung 950 Pro, which is NVMe SSD.

System Specs from CPU-Z:
http://valid.x86.fr/g3mz95

Moody, FYI, if you stick your windows disc/usb in there, go to repair -> recovery -> console. Then type the following and reboot you won't have to restore image (which can take a while). Vera will then say it failed and remove the test loader.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

Halp oh might Veracrypt gods! :)
Sep 12, 2016 at 3:24 AM
I attempted to completely disable secure boot by setting the os type to "OTHER OS" and then deleting the various keys under the "secure boot" menu in bios. After restart it appears secure boot is disabled but unfortunately does not fix the blinking cursor of death when using veracrypt :(
Sep 12, 2016 at 7:56 AM
Exactly same to me... For the time being I've reverted back to TrueCrypt.
Dec 27, 2016 at 4:29 PM
Anyone having any luck with this?