Mounting a decrypted VeraCrypt partition to a folder.

Topics: Feature Requests, Users Discussion
Aug 20, 2016 at 10:47 AM
Edited Aug 20, 2016 at 4:59 PM
Hello! As the title of this thread, Is it possible to mount a decrypted partition made by VeraCrypt to a folder? I am using windows by the way. I have also posted this in the feature requests forum for reasons in the post below

Thanks in Advance! :)
Aug 20, 2016 at 4:57 PM
Edited Aug 20, 2016 at 5:00 PM
I have just re-checked all the commandline parameters which VeraCrypt offers, I have found the parameter /mountoption but there is no option to specify the path of the mounted drive! :(

I know that it is possible to mount normal partitions within a virtual disk image to a folder under windows, so I am guessing that VeraCrypt has not yet implemented this feature...
Aug 28, 2016 at 11:41 AM
This could be useful. Drive letters are in shortage in some usage profiles, especially if you use a lot of mounted network shares. So mount to folder could be in demand.
Aug 28, 2016 at 11:46 AM
Yes, it could be! and mounting to a folder makes it less obvious that there is a secret vault hidden.
Sep 6, 2016 at 2:52 AM
Also found some technical information about mounted folders on MSDN:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365237(v=vs.85).aspx

Just a reference link for the developer! :D
Oct 25, 2016 at 10:59 AM
Bump... Someone has made a similar thread regarding this feature, its located here.

Thanks.
Dec 6, 2016 at 10:36 AM
Bumping again. I would like to see Mr. IDRASSI's opinion on this :D
Dec 7, 2016 at 1:52 PM
This would be indeed good. You are not the first who wanted this implemented, but on windows it is probably harder than it looks.
Developer
Dec 7, 2016 at 7:58 PM
It can be. The problem is in VeraCrypt internal structure. To implement we will have to significantly rewrite GUI and driver level because of current mount logic.
Feb 17 at 3:14 PM
Edited Mar 2 at 11:56 AM
Thanks for the replies, I have an amazing breakthrough regarding this request (well... not exactly)
Looks like I have discovered a way to mount an already mounted encrypted partition! (Multiple mount points). Here is how I did it:
  1. Mount the encrypted partition to a drive letter using VeraCrypt
  2. Open command prompt (cmd.exe) and use the "mountvol" command to get the "VolumeName" for the mounted partition. (You will see it just above the mounted drive's letter)
  3. "mountvol <path to empty folder here> <VolumeName here>" and it will mount the partition to the empty folder ;)
    (use "mountvol <path to the mounted folder> /D" to dismount)
I was unable to remove the mount point for the drive letter though :(

P.S I got replies but no e-mail notification :(. I apologise for the late reply.
Developer
Feb 17 at 6:47 PM
Thank you for your solution. Good way.

Drive letter is not a problem. It is simple symbolic link to <L>: (to remove IoDeleteSymbolicLink) main problem - VeraCrypt creates kernel device \Device\VeraCryptVolume<L> and all mount requests work via number (not path). So we need the following modifications : IOCTL request structures => GUI => driver

There are many serious problems with project It is not security, the tool is audited many times but structure is not enough flexible (too solid).

The project needs refactoring. I'm looking for strategic partner for the development. Too complex task.

Note: e.g. to remove letter without coding via ext2 volume manager (F9 - remove dead letters)
Feb 25 at 2:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback... It would be nice if there was a workaround instead of refactoring the code :(

P.S Again no email notification for the reply :(
Mar 11 at 1:17 AM
Hi, Guys!
Thank You for Your attention.
I have no more letters (A & B occupied also)! I will add 2 HDDs in two weeks.
I don't want raid (as You understand).
Thank You TheDcoder about mount to folder way.
Any news about the complete removal of the letter? I need to re-use letter for mount next HDDs.
Please help! Commandline it's enough (no GUI needed).

Many Thanks to Programmers for this greatest product!
Developer
Mar 15 at 9:06 PM
Edited Mar 15 at 9:07 PM
I'm the only developer/support for now. Too much work for me. Do not have enough spare time.

It is possible to donate the option here - https://sourceforge.net/p/dc5/tickets/2/

If someone implements the option donation will be transferred to the person. (bitcoin transactions can be verified easy)