This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Version 1.18 versus 1.18a diff? (and, no 1.18a for Linux?)

Topics: Users Discussion
Aug 19, 2016 at 5:29 AM
Bit of confusion here. I can find no specific references to version 1.18__a__ vs. 1.18 in the Changelog.
Also, I don't see a 1.18a release for Linux, unless I am totally missing something.

What was changed/updated in the 1.18a version? Is 1.18a some sort of bug-fix for the Windows version only? Linux users are OK staying at "vanilla" 1.18, or no?
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2016 at 7:57 AM
Edited Aug 19, 2016 at 10:46 AM
The only change is 1.18a is that the Windows driver are now signed by Microsoft in addition to IDRIX signature.
So nothing changed in the code or at binary level.

1.18a is identical to 1.18 and it was necessary in order to have a new Windows installer containing the newly signed driver files.

To recapitulate:
For Linux and MacOSX: now change at all.
For Windows: only installer is changed to include drivers that are counter-signed by Microsoft. At binary level, all installed files are the same as 1.18.

Sorry for this confusion. With their Windows 10 Anniversary Edition release, Microsoft introduced constraints that made VeraCrypt impossible to run for several users and this last minute change was necessary.
Marked as answer by stryk on 8/19/2016 at 3:22 AM
Aug 19, 2016 at 8:08 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I feared a terrible bug noticed after release.

Please, next time clearly state the difference. It gave me nearly a heart attack (I had just rolled out this release).
Aug 19, 2016 at 10:37 AM
@idrassi
Okay, first line above, I think you mean ".... Windows driver are NOW signed by Microsoft...."

Also, both 1.18 and 1.18a Windows versions are still at this page:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/files/VeraCrypt%201.18/
  • if you are not using Windows 10, will the 1.18a be okay and therefore the 1.18 files not be necessary?
  • there is also an extra file "VeraCrypt_1.18a_Bundle.7z.asc" .... that isn't needed either as there is a .sig file.
The README.TXT file, can you please also include a link for that on this page:
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Downloads

Thanks
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM
@affinity:
thank for spotting the mistake. I made the correction.
Concerning the presence of both 1.18 and 1.18a Windows installers on Sourceforge folder, the two files are actually the same! I just kept 1.18 file so that existing external links will not be broke.
Anyway, those not using Windows 10, can use previous 1.18 installer although 1.18a will also work, even on Windows XP.

Concerning .asc file, I have always distributed both .sig and .asc for the PGP signature of the bundle file. Some people prefer ASCII armor signature file since they can be easily compared using text processing tools.

I have updated the download page with a link to the readme file.
Aug 19, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Excellent, thanks for all your great work!