This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Operation faild

Topics: Technical Issues
Aug 15, 2016 at 7:13 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2016 at 3:12 PM
Hi..

Im using Windows 10 Pro and yesterday I encrypted my Toshiba External Harddrive with VeraCrypt, and now I cant get mount it. It gaves me the error 7336.
I have used AES. It says me it needs 25 hours, and after ~3 hours i pressed stop or something and plugged the Harddrive into an USB 3.0 port, now it only needed ~5 hours before that it was in an 2.0. Maybe thats why its now dont work? I think I mount it correctly, but im new to Veracrypt. I also tryed mount it over partition one. my pass was 15 charakter long, 10 letters, then ^^ and abc or 123, I tried both. My pass is correct i think/hope, but what does 7336 means?
I really hope somone can help me, I lost like 800 gigabytes of data, no backup, no keyfiles..
And sorry for my english, my primary language is german
Aug 17, 2016 at 11:07 AM
anyone can help?
Aug 17, 2016 at 2:40 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2016 at 2:43 PM
Chriiails wrote:
anyone can help?
I doubt it.

Chriiails wrote:
I have used AES. It says me it needs 25 hours, and after ~3 hours i pressed stop or something and plugged the Harddrive into an USB 3.0 port
Well, that's clear as pig iron. But it sounds like you were encrypting a huge amount of data in place, got
impatient, wouldn't wait one day for it to finish, and stopped (or somethinged) it, in which case MAYBE
somebody can suggest a recovery strategy, but it wouldn't surprise me if you're just up the creek without even the idea of
a paddle. Of course you backed up your data before subjecting it to a procedure you weren't familiar
with. Because that's just SOP and common sense, right?

Chriiails wrote:
And sorry for my englisch
Oh, that's englisch! No wonder I faild to extract clear meaning - I thought maybe it was English.

With all good will,, 2 suggestions: When the diction and syntax is flakey anyway, and even the concepts
are a little vague "or something", mispelled words only add another layer of difficulty. Use machine
translation as a backstop. And spell check both your own and the machine's output.

Good luck with your data.
Aug 17, 2016 at 3:16 PM
Thank you anyways.. Does you or someone knows what 7336 exactly means? I thought i can unplug the Harddrive when I press stop. So I just pressed it and plugged the Harddrive into USB 3.0.. Was this a failture? Should i try it on Linux/Windows 7 again? Is it normal that Windows tells me I must format the Harddrive?
Aug 17, 2016 at 8:03 PM
Stop/continue is normal operation. Should work.
Probably it is wrong password. Try to use "Display password" option. PIM value is also important if you use it.

What version do you use?

Could you attach screen shot of the error?
Aug 17, 2016 at 8:18 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2016 at 8:19 PM
Thank you kavsrf for you answer.
I already tryed display password, but dont get the right pass. I tryed it like 200 times with different errors i could make, but yeah maybe i just type it in false. And as i read, i can only use a pim when the password is over 20 charakters, so i dont have one. Version and screenshot i can post later, now i only have my mobile phone :) is it inportent what partition i use to enter the password? I only have the one partiton, and the main harddrive as an option.
Thank you again for trying to help me out.
Aug 20, 2016 at 6:19 AM
Edited Aug 20, 2016 at 6:24 AM
Chriiails wrote:
Is it normal that Windows tells me I must format the Harddrive?
Windows is a lying OS! * Don't trust it. Yes, it is normal. And wrong. Normally wrong, you might say.
Windows WILL offer to format a crypt. It is downright pushy about it. Don't let it.

Chriiails wrote:*
And as i read, i can only use a pim when the password is over 20 charakters, so i dont have one.
I might be mistaken, but isn't that backwards? Isn't it that it won't let you set a LOW pim if your pass
is too short? But instead enforces a default if you try? That you can only have NO pim if your pass is
LONG enough? My impression is that VC enforces a minimum PIM for short passes which it may
automatically default to if you try to set a smaller value, such as 1, and for long passes allows smaller
values of PIM, including a value of 1, which is to say, no PIM at all.

Glad to see you have a real expert helping. Good luck again.

/* I couldn't resist. How often do you get a chance at a trilingual (latin/english/geeklish) pun?
Aug 20, 2016 at 6:43 AM
Edited Aug 20, 2016 at 6:47 AM
This is the Screenshot..

I tryed using pim 0, didnt work, with pim 1 it displays me the error immediately after I press Mount, so 1 is maybe not allowed.
I hope its not the password that is wrong and somone can help me out, i tryed it again 30 times, no results..
Aug 20, 2016 at 8:09 AM
There is no possibility to decrypt the drive without password.
Have you saved volume header?

The only thing I can suggest is bruteforce. Try to create bat file with different combination for password.
VeraCrypt.exe /q /v \Device\Harddisk2\Partition1 /l "letter" /P "password" /pim <value>
Aug 20, 2016 at 8:43 AM
Edited Aug 20, 2016 at 8:43 AM
Okay, thanks. I dont have a specific Pim, should i use 0 or can it be that veracrypt dont accept the right password when i use pim 0, or can I ignore the pim?
And the bat should be..?
VeraCrypt.exe /q /v \Device\Harddisk2\Partition1 /l "H" /P "Thisismypassword1" /pim <0>
VeraCrypt.exe /q /v \Device\Harddisk2\Partition1 /l "H" /P "Thisismypassword2" /pim <0>
VeraCrypt.exe /q /v \Device\Harddisk2\Partition1 /l "H" /P "Thisismypassword3" /pim <0>

Does
VeraCrypt.exe /q /v \Device\Harddisk2\Partition1 /l "H" /P "Thisismypassword1"
Work too? What is normal when i crypt a drive? No pim or pim 0?
Thank you again..
Aug 21, 2016 at 1:17 AM
While you're waiting for Kavsrf to give you a more authoritative answer, I'd try that with
NO PIM specified. Probably it will default to some value and there is a good chance it
will default to the same value it defaulted to when you encrypted it if you didn't specify
one then. I'm purely guessing. I've never used the Windows version.
Aug 21, 2016 at 6:39 AM
Okay, thanks, but I think the Windows and Linux code should be the same :)
Aug 21, 2016 at 7:55 AM
No pim or pim zero is the same
Here is details:
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Header%20Key%20Derivation
Aug 22, 2016 at 1:26 AM
Chriiails wrote:
Okay, thanks, but I think the Windows and Linux code should be the same :)
On this specific item, I suspect the UI at least, if not the code per se, is the same. But I'd be
guessing. Globally, they are definitely NOT the same. You have some options in the Win version
that are discussed in other threads here, that haven't made it to the nix version yet, for example.
I believe the CLI (text interface) is a little different. There might be other differences. I try to avoid
making too many assumptions about software I haven' used. Best of luck with that.