This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Potentially big issue with external harddrive

Topics: Technical Issues
Aug 9, 2016 at 7:41 PM
Edited Aug 9, 2016 at 9:51 PM
Hello! This happen a while back but I couldn't yet post about it.

I have a Transcend StoreJet that was encrypted with VeraCrypt (whole disk encryption). There have been no issues with it until a while back when it suddenly stopped working. At the time it was connected to the computer via a USB Hub (made by Intex); the only other thing plugged in the USB Hub other than the HD was my gamepad. While trying to copy some files I got the "This file is no longer here" error. I unplugged it and plugged it back in but it wouldn't work anymore. Plugging it directly into the PC did not help much. Every time I plug it in, it doesn't show in "My computer". Only after I wait 10 or so minutes it pops up in Windows 7 disk management as uninitialized. I can't do anything to it because I get a cyclic redundancy error. While waiting for it to pop up in the disk management, the HD makes some sort of scratching-like sounds (comparable to small electric shocks, I guess).

What I have tried:
  • Trying a different cable
  • Trying it on a different system
  • Opening the case and plugging it directly to the motherboard
  • Various disk diagnostic software with little success
I can't even try to get windows to do anything about it because the HD doesn't get a drive letter.

I have important files on it, how do I go about recovering them without losing all of it? Is there any chance for it to ever be fixed? What is the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Additional info:
The PC detects it being plugged in (it makes that sound when you plug in an USB);
While plugged into the motherboard, I had to wait, again, 15 minutes in BIOS before it would show up. When it did, it had the right name of it;
The blue light on it seems to work (the light that notifies you if it is in use).
Aug 11, 2016 at 3:35 PM
Indications point to a bad Transcend StoreJet drive.
Aug 16, 2016 at 8:42 PM
What can I do to retrieve as much data as possible from it? Where do I take it from here?
Aug 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
If I plug it in, after some minutes windows does the 'plugged in' sound and it pops up in the notification area of the taskbar.

If I go to 'Disk Management in windows, I can see it there too as uninitialized.

If I use MBR, I get this:

If I do GPT, it works and it shows in VeraCrypt; I can also convert it to a GPT disk from 'Disk Management'.
However, I can't access it from VeraCrypt. If I input the password and try to mount it, it gives me this error:

How do I get the data that's on it?