This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Hidden OS: Windows 7 on a Windows 10

Topics: Feature Requests, Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Aug 8, 2016 at 7:54 PM
I am wondering whether it is practical to encrypt a laptop with a Windows 10 operating system, and install an operating system on a hidden Verycrypt volume.

I run a newer Acer laptop that uses a GPT partitiion scheme. I attempted to create a hidden operating system but Verycrypt notified me that it wouldn't be possible.

I have a separate hard drive that I have converted to MBR. Practically speaking, does it make sense to install windows 7 on that hard drive (currently empty) in a hidden volume, then encrypt the whole operating system as a decoy?

It seems this would be a way around the GPT issue, though I am no expert.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Aug 9, 2016 at 6:06 AM
And dear Veracrypt, ignore my "very" foolish typos :)
Developer
Aug 16, 2016 at 8:41 AM
We are working on new hidden OS possibility

Demo video of our progress: http://sendvid.com/px9jirm6

The video demonstrates following scenario:
  1. Picture password. (If touch screen is available)
  2. OS key on a separate disk. (vbox_hiddenos_key.vhd)
  3. OS key connected -> ask password -> password from encrypted OS (veraen) -> boot OS from disk 1
  4. OS key connected -> ask password -> password from hidden OS (verahid) -> boot OS from disk 2
  5. OS key disconnected -> boot Linux
Notes:
  1. Button “Plt lck”: Means platform lock. To lock password need to change password and choose “Plt lck”. It adds platform key file to password (BIOS id and USB id if available)
  2. Disk partitions: GPT on disk 2 contains the only MS reserved partition with hidden OS. It is possible to mount it from VeraCrypt but the MSR partition is not visible from Windows Disk Manager.