This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Cannot mount file container, error prompt "The parameter is incorrect. Source: MountVolume:7294"

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Aug 5, 2016 at 4:32 PM
Used to be a Truecrypt user, I am now switching to Veracrypt. After installing the latest stable version Veracrypt 1.17, I cannot mount newly created file container but with error prompt:
"The parameter is incorrect. Source: MountVolume:7294".

PC configuration
  • Lenovo R61 notebook
  • Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
I can encrypt the System partition successfully with preboot authentication working fine. But somehow I am now stuck at mounting the file container. Would anyone please help. A million thanks in advance.
Aug 6, 2016 at 1:22 PM
Are you trying to mount the file container using System Favorites or after the system has booted you are manually mounting the volume?
Aug 8, 2016 at 1:06 PM
It was the latter case. I mounted the file container manually.

In fact, I experienced the same error when I attempted to mount my existing Truecrypt file container. I thought it was a result of compatibility issue. After creating Veracypt file container, I couldn't mount it either.
Aug 8, 2016 at 1:45 PM
I assume you click the option to display password to make sure the keyboard mapping matches the password you typed. Sounds like something is interfering with the TC and VC software. Have you tried removing your Anti-Virus program?
Aug 9, 2016 at 1:53 AM
Edited Aug 9, 2016 at 3:20 AM
Let me clarify that the problem mounting Truecrypt file container happened only when I tried to mount it using the VeraCrypt software with "TrueCrypt mode" checked. Mounting TrueCrypt file container with TrueCrypt software is never a problem with the present hardware/software configuration over the past years. Sorry for the confusion.

Surely I have verified correct password capture by VeraCypt. Also test mounting several newly created file containers to have the same error prompt. I have also disabled AV program (AVG) during the process but it didn't help.

In fact, I have smoothly encrypted and mounted my Windows system partition as well as another hard disk partition without problem using VeraCrypt 1.17. The problem only surfaced when I work with file container volume.
Aug 9, 2016 at 7:57 AM
Edited Aug 9, 2016 at 7:59 AM
Thank you for the clarification.

What file extension are you using for your file containers? If you are using a file extension of photos or video formats, the header may be getting damaged by other software saving metadata to the file.

Have you tried mounting using the Mount Option button and selecting the embedded backup header?

Since the problem only occurs when using file containers, as a test, try mounting the newly created VeraCrypt file container as read-only.

Another possibility is a permission issue I have encountered in the past.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/265
Aug 9, 2016 at 12:58 PM
I choose null extension for the file container as I did with TC in the past. Never used media file type.

Thanks for sharing the thread. My file container is created under My Document and I log in with administrator right. Seems little to do with permission issue.

Since I have fallen back to TC for time being, I need to reinstall VC to test with your suggestion. Just one concern here, is the coexistence issue with TC and VC installing on the same system. What is the risk of having both VC and TC interfering each other to corrupt the file containers resulting in loss of data ? Although I read from the Q&A that both software can run together "in general", I just have the fear that software conflicts (like device drivers amongst VC & TC) can harm my data. Please share your assessment.
Aug 9, 2016 at 1:26 PM
I have run both TC and VC on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit for over a year with no problems. I have converted to VC and I have removed TC.
Aug 14, 2016 at 8:05 AM
Just to report test result and new observation.

I have checked both Mount Options of "embedded backup header" & "read-only" in all combinations to end up with the same error prompt.

After several trial-n-errors, I note that the file container mounting error only surfaces when the file container is stored in the Windows partition. When I copy this problem file to another hard disk partition or USB flash drive, I can mount it immediately. I have tested this repeatedly to have consistent results (Including creating another file container using a different Windows 7 PC). In other words, the problem is narrowed down to "Error mounting file container stored in Windows partition".

<Summary of Test Results>
  • Mounting Windows system partition with pre-boot authentication : Positive
  • Mounting Windows non-system partition automatically as system favorite : Positive
  • Mounting file container store in Windows System partition : Negative
  • Mounting file container store in Non-System partition : Positive
  • Mounting file container store in USB drive : Positive
Aug 14, 2016 at 2:31 PM
Thanks for posting your results. This means the problem is a permission and/or file ownership issue when the file is in the root directory.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/265
Aug 14, 2016 at 6:56 PM
I had the same problem long time ago!! Most probably it was with the old Truecrypt, maybe even with the earlier versions of TC (prior to 7.1a).
Aug 15, 2016 at 6:21 AM
As clarified in a previous post, the file container resides in windows "user" folder under "Documents", not the root directory. ie. C:\users\ ....\Documents.

TC can mount file container residing in windows "user" directories without any issue. I experience this only with VC.
Aug 18, 2016 at 7:45 AM
Edited Aug 18, 2016 at 7:45 AM
After each major Windows 10 update, there's a chance that automounting is disabled at system level. If so, try this:
  1. Run command prompt or windows powershell as admin. (right-click start menu and select "Windows PowerShell (admin)"
  2. type: mountvol /E
  3. Reboot windows.
Aug 19, 2016 at 8:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. But my case is about problem mounting VC file container stored under Windows Vista user folder. There wasn't any MS windows release update prior to this event.