This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Any weakness in creating a TC volume first, then converting it later?

Topics: Users Discussion
Aug 1, 2016 at 10:11 PM
From what I read, I think that VeraCrypt only differs from TrueCrypt in the way the volume header information is hashed and stored. But I'd like to be sure - does this mean that there is no drawback in creating a TrueCrypt volume first, and then converting it to a VeraCrypt volume later, in contrast to creating a VeraCrypt volume right away?

(Of course assuming that all backup copies of the old TrueCrypt headers are safely disposed of as well.)

Background: I want to create a new data partition that should be compatible to a TC system now, but will be moved to a VC system later.
Aug 1, 2016 at 10:15 PM
You can run both TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt on the same PC. You can only use one for a given encrypted volume.

I would install VeraCrypt on the TC system and create using VeraCrypt.

You can read the changelog at the link below and discover the many features and security improvements provided by VeraCrypt.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Release%20Notes
Aug 2, 2016 at 10:13 PM
Very good question.

I think the answer should be YES - except the password hashing process, the rest should be the same between VC and TC. The TC program, running on the machine, poses a threat on its own, but this has nothing to do with the encryption end result.