This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

USB encryption

Topics: Feature Requests
Jul 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM
Hay! I have a feature that I would like to see in veracrypt. I would like to see some sort of USB encryption where you can click to encrypt a USB and you can take it everywhere. Because now you can encrypt the drive but you still have to have veracrypt on the host computer, or you can create a file container and the portable version of veracrypt. the problem with that is if you lose the drive, someone can copy the container over to his computer and could hack it maybe. Plus someone has your files.

So you could make the feature so that if you plugin the usb drive, the passwordmenu pops up and after that it opens the file explorer. When you want to take out the USB, you can click on the eject button in file explorer and take out the USB.

I would find it very nice if this feature comes in the next update and I think that a lot of people will benefit from it.
Jul 6, 2016 at 5:19 PM
If you lose the thumb dirve, anyone can copy it and try to hack it no matter what, as long as it won't be protected on the device side by the firmware, maybe by its own integrated little keyboard? :-) But would you trust that solution? Some notebook drives has disk unlocking mechanism inside firmware, but it has to be supported by bios and drive, but this can be unlocked by manufacturer. Some ssd drives has some sort of built in aes encryption, but how secure that is I have no idea, because it is proprietary. But if you want the unbreakable veracrypt, you will need to have it somewhere and run it to access your data.

Btw. the container is same secure as the whole encrypted disk. In linux, the whole usb device is adressed like a file, so when you want to copy the whole disk, you address it like a file, i.e. /dev/sdb to and copy it to i.e. /home/myself/usbdrive.img ;-) But the good news is, that as long as your data are protected by veracypt and you have picked up a good password, noone can crack it.
Jul 7, 2016 at 2:19 PM
Alright, thanx color the info
Sep 12, 2016 at 2:54 PM
Rek3beef21, testoslav, can I ask what is your opinion of this because it seems to be the closest thing currently to what you're suggesting http://portableapps.com/apps/security/veracrypt-portable