This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Locked out of previous OS after dual boot

Topics: Technical Issues
Jun 27, 2016 at 10:54 PM
Edited Jun 27, 2016 at 10:55 PM
  • System encrypted my Windows7 laptop.
  • Wanted to try Xubuntu as a dual OS.
  • Now there is no option to dual boot to Windows 7 nor does the initial VC bootloader show up
  • I am directly booted into Xubuntu
  • Don't have the recovery disk. Of course, I still know the password.
What do I do? There has to be a solution.

Best regards and would appreciate any help.

Atlan
Jun 28, 2016 at 7:42 AM
Edited Jun 28, 2016 at 8:09 AM
I'm not sure you can use full system encryption and dual boot. But I know what should work. The steps will be like this:
  1. Install windows on another hard drive (can be another computer) and system-encrypt it with same version of veracrypt you have used previously - we need to have matching boot loader, because they differ between versions
  2. Backup veracrypt boot loader - I'd boot linux live cd and use command: sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/veracryptmbr.bak bs=446 count=1
  3. store veracryptmbr.bak in some cool and dry place like cloud or flash drive, where you will be able to retrieve it later
  4. put original xubuntu hard disk back in, boot it, backup xubuntu mbr using command: sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/xubuntumbr.bak bs=512 count=1
  5. store xubuntumbr.bak as in step 3.
  6. now put the backed up veracryptmbr.bak to /tmp folder and overwrite xubuntu mbr with veracrypt mbr using command: sudo dd if=/tmp/veracryptmbr.bak of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1
  7. reboot
  8. veracrypt should ask you for password and in case you have not screwed up, you will be booted in windows
If you want to boot xubuntu, you will need to put the backed up xubuntumbr boot loader to the mbr (similarly as steps 6,7). There's probably some less complicated way I don't know about, but the steps 2-8 are doable in 5 minutes, so I don't care ;-)

edit: step 1 is probably the most time consuming, if you don't know how to do it quickly. But I can, so if you donate $10 or more to the veracrypt project, I will do it and send you veracryptmbr.bak you need, just specify the version.