This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

TrueCrypt volume/partition became RAW

Topics: Technical Issues
Jun 10, 2016 at 4:41 PM
hi,
after perform an update from TrueCrypt 7.1a to 7.2 it seem the volume/partition became RAW, im able to mount the volume/partition but im unable to browse the data, i've tried lots of data recovery software but nothing works, i proceed to try to repair/rebuild using tesdisk software but it not works, i don't remember well but i think the volume/partition had 84~GB and i exceed it by trying to put much data files inside it, my question is, how can i manage to access my data? i've manage to create a copy (.dd) of the volume and im able to mount using param filesystem=none, is it possible to try to delete some file inside the volume/partition and this way it will decrease size and ill be able to access it or this is another problem and there is other workaround?
thks,
Jun 12, 2016 at 2:49 PM
TrueCrypt 7.2 only allows you to access existing TrueCrypt volumes and in-place decrypt existing volumes. You cannot create new encrypted volumes with 7.2 TrueCrypt.

Have you tried mounting the volume using the option embedded backup header?
Jun 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
TrueCrypt 7.2 only allows you to access existing TrueCrypt volumes and in-place decrypt existing volumes. You cannot create new encrypted volumes with 7.2 TrueCrypt.

Have you tried mounting the volume using the option embedded backup header?
i know.
yes, ive already tried backup header, it mounts but im unable to access the files via explorer because by what it seems it lost the filesystem..
Jun 16, 2016 at 10:39 PM
Edited Jun 16, 2016 at 10:40 PM
hello,
using winhex
"Find the first MFT sector number in the VBR, go to that sector and see if an MFT is there. If it is, then you could copy what you've found to the first sector of your partition and re-mount it"??

how do i proceed to do this?
Jun 17, 2016 at 5:37 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2016 at 5:38 PM
I'd try it with vc with compatibility mode cehcked. Truecrypt 7.2 can be tainted. Recently my drive looked like raw too (after os reinstall), but it was permissions. Right click drive letter and see if you are owner of the drive and you have correct permission. Taking ownership and adding everyone full access solved the issue, but you will need write access, which you don't with TC 7.2.
Jun 17, 2016 at 10:59 PM
testoslav,
on a RAW drive Security tab does not appear on drive letter properties..
im getting some help here
can you help?
Jun 21, 2016 at 7:35 PM
any1 can help??
Jun 21, 2016 at 9:03 PM
Can you still mount the volume using the embedded backup header?

Once you mount the volume, try using R-Studio to recover lost files. Other software you can attempt file recovery are GetDataBack, File Scavenger and Photorec.