This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How to Password Prompt USB, nothing more

Topics: Technical Issues
May 26, 2016 at 6:59 AM
Hi, I'm fairly new to the encryption game and I really need your help. I'm just a simple guy, I just wanted to "prompt" a password dialog box everytime my USB is mounted, inserted on ANY USB port, and can be turned off anytime if I have it in one of my trusted devices (e.g. home laptops/desktops).

I have downloaded a few other products and doesn't really give out my wanted feature. Most products that I tried encrypts the whole device, then needs to be decrypted EVERY TIME I need to see/transfer the contents which takes a few minutes.

One product seems too close with the capability I want by mounting the device, but needs to double click the app on the USB, then entering the password, then unlocks all contents by about 3 seconds.

Is there a way for VeraCrypt to just prompt the password each time I plug the USB automatically, enter the password then just open the drive normally? Can you teach me how? If not, is there any app you recommend to do exactly that?

Thank you, and appreciate all help that will be given,
Paul
May 26, 2016 at 11:49 AM
Hello Paul,

VeraCrypt will not meet your criteria of not prompting for a password anytime you plug-in the USB drive into a computer that you consider as a trusted device as in your example of your home computers.
May 26, 2016 at 6:07 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
Hello Paul,

VeraCrypt will not meet your criteria of not prompting for a password anytime you plug-in the USB drive into a computer that you consider as a trusted device as in your example of your home computers.
Not prompting? I did not ask anything about not prompting, I'm actually wanting the opposite of that. Can you review my question once again, or do advise me if I interpreted your response wrongly. Thank you.
May 26, 2016 at 9:01 PM
Popeng wrote:
...I just wanted to "prompt" a password dialog box everytime my USB is mounted, inserted on ANY USB port, and can be turned off anytime if I have it in one of my trusted devices (e.g. home laptops/desktops).
Can you restate your question more clearly?
May 26, 2016 at 9:04 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
Popeng wrote:
...I just wanted to "prompt" a password dialog box everytime my USB is mounted, inserted on ANY USB port, and can be turned off anytime if I have it in one of my trusted devices (e.g. home laptops/desktops).
Can you restate your question more clearly?
More clearly? Not clear enough? Okay here is the clearest i can give out on what I wanted:

1) Insert USB
2) Message will prompt on screen stating "Please enter password"
3) Enters password
4) Opens USB drive
5) Done
May 26, 2016 at 9:24 PM
Edited May 26, 2016 at 9:47 PM
Hello Paul,

Your question that I quoted in my reply talked about turning-off at anytime the password prompt when the drive was plugged into a trusted device like your home computer. That is part of the question I thought you were asking about VeraCrypt's capability.

VeraCrypt will not automatically prompt you for a password when you plug-in a USB device.

You can review the tutorial at the link below to get a better understanding of how the mount/dismount a volume which is generic term in VeraCrypt for file container or for disk/partition encryption.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Beginner%27s%20Tutorial
May 27, 2016 at 12:02 PM
I think that autorun.inf on the usb drive might launch veracrypt with the command option to mount the container on the usb stick, asking for a prompt, but I'd avoid doing so, especially if you borrow your flash to third paries, a lot of viruses spread via autorun.inf and you can catch a virus more easily when you expect autorun.
May 27, 2016 at 2:55 PM
However the autorun.inf file would not be accessible to Windows when the drive is encrypted.