This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Windows 7 nor Window 10 will release my USB flash drive after using Veracrypt

Topics: Technical Issues
May 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM
Edited May 18, 2016 at 9:41 PM
I have Veracrypt v1.16 on a USB Flash drive that has a encrypted container. If I plug my USB drive into any computer and then use Veracrypt to decrypt the container so that I can access my files, once I finish and dismount the container, and exit Veracrypt, then Windows will not release the USB drive saying that another program is still using it. The only thing I can do is to reboot the computer. This will happen on both a Windows 7 computer as well as a Windows 10 computer.
Is this a bug or is there a fix or workaround?
BD
May 18, 2016 at 9:47 PM
You can use Microsoft's Process Explorer to determine what files are open on the volume.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/processexplorer
May 19, 2016 at 12:01 AM
Enigma2Illusion:
Thanks for the response, however, I tried looking at Process Explorer but I must not know what to look for because I don't find anything related to the USB Drive or Veracrypt.
What am I looking for?
May 19, 2016 at 12:41 AM
Edited May 19, 2016 at 12:41 AM
May 19, 2016 at 1:39 AM
Thanks, I followed the instructions but the information that I found are not files that one would find in Task Manager to close. Besides I would have to have Process Explorer installed on any computer I connected my USB drive to to see what files are preventing Windows from closing the USB Drive. Since I found nothing that appears tied to the USB Drive that is stoppable in Process Explorer, is why I think it is something to do with Veracrypt.
Any other suggestions I should consider?
May 19, 2016 at 3:51 AM
Edited May 19, 2016 at 3:57 AM
Disable any program that would index or scan for files like Anti-Virus/Malware protection software and multimedia players.

Other ideas, upgrade to 1.17 VeraCrypt version.

Does the problem occur if you merely connect the USB thumbdrive to your system and then later attempt to safely remove the USB drive without mounting VeraCrypt on the USB drive?

Is there software that comes with the thumbdrive that may be holding a lock on the drive?

Try mounting the volume with the option as a removable drive.
May 19, 2016 at 12:07 PM
Edited May 19, 2016 at 12:08 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
_Disable any program that would index or scan for files like Anti-Virus/Malware protection software and multimedia players.
__I've tried that with no luck, besides each computer I've used has different AV products but the problem still persists.

> Other ideas, upgrade to 1.17 VeraCrypt version.
To make sure I don't screw up my current setup, do I download the new version and install it right over the top of the current version, BEFORE decrypting (mount) my container?

Does the problem occur if you merely connect the USB thumbdrive to your system and then later attempt to safely remove the USB drive without mounting VeraCrypt on the USB drive?
No, the only time there is this problem is when I use Veracrypt to decrypt (mount) the container on the USB drive, otherwise Windows can shut down the USB drive like all my other USB drives.

> Is there software that comes with the thumbdrive that may be holding a lock on the drive?___
Not that I'm aware of.
> Try mounting the volume with the option as a removable drive.
That is how I set up Veracrypt on the USB drive initially.

I've even gone into Task Manager and stopped the Veracrypt entry, but that didn't help. Is there any possibility that Veracrypt is having a problem releasing some dll or handle or Journal because the USB drive has been formatted as NTFS?
BD
May 19, 2016 at 2:21 PM
Edited May 19, 2016 at 3:03 PM
Hello,

To upgrade VeraCrypt, have all VeraCrypt non-system volumes dismounted. Then run the installer and upgrade. When prompted, reboot your PC. Do not defer since issues can occur since the software and driver are will be out of sync with each other.

Are you running VeraCrypt in portable mode or do you have VeraCrypt installed on your PC?

Do you have VeraCrypt installed on your C drive or are you trying to run VeraCrypt from the thumbdrive?

Since you are mounting the volume as removable drive, try without the removable option to see if that makes any difference.

When your volume is mounted to a drive letter, using the Windows Process Explorer, do you see anything other than VeraCrypt accessing the drive letter?

Have tried a different brand of thumbdrive as a test to see if the same problem occurs?
May 19, 2016 at 6:04 PM
___Are you running VeraCrypt in portable mode or do you have VeraCrypt installed on your PC?
Currently it is running in Portable mode on my USB drive.

Do you have VeraCrypt installed on your C drive or are you trying to run VeraCrypt from the thumbdrive?
Interesting question...I have Veracrypt installed on my PC for encrypting sensitive files AND I have installed a portable version of VeraCrypt on my USB Drive, also to encrypt sensitive information. But remember...the other computers that I have used the USB drive with does not have VeraCrypt installed
__
Since you are mounting the volume as removable drive, try without the removable option to see if that makes any difference.
No difference.
__
When your volume is mounted to a drive letter, using the Windows Process Explorer, do you see anything other than VeraCrypt accessing the drive letter?

This is what I see, when using Process Explorer (X:\ is the encrypted drive letter):
X:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000002
X:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$Txf
X:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf
X:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer00000000000000000001

They all have the same Process (System), the same PID # (4) and Type (File)

Have tried a different brand of thumbdrive as a test to see if the same problem occurs?

At this point, no I haven't since this is the fastest of my drives (Super Talent 3.0 Express Ram Cache)
May 19, 2016 at 6:34 PM
As a test, attach USB drive, do not mount any VeraCrypt volumes, delete VeraCrypt from the USB drive and mount using the PC (C Drive) VeraCrypt. Then dismount and attempt to safely eject the USB drive.
May 19, 2016 at 7:25 PM
No difference. Still will not allow Windows to eject the USB drive.
May 19, 2016 at 10:27 PM
Edited May 19, 2016 at 10:29 PM
May 20, 2016 at 12:10 AM
Enigma2Illusion:
Yea I had already seen those threads and although I do have Everything installed, I followed their suggestions with no luck. I even tried the fsutil volume dismount [DRIVE] idea with no luck.
I really didn't think it would be that simple because none of the other computers I've run my USB drive on have Everything installed, and none have indexing checked.
So I'm no further along.
As long as I don't start Veracrypt on the USB drive, it will eject just fine, it is only a problem once Veracrypt is loaded and I try to eject the drive after dismounting the encrypted drive.
I appreciate all the help ideas but it is still very frustrating.
BD
Jun 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM
I have the same problem with my external hard drive under windows 7
Jun 2, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Edited Jun 2, 2016 at 12:57 AM
bigdawg1 wrote:
Enigma2Illusion:
Yea I had already seen those threads and although I do have Everything installed, I followed their suggestions with no luck. I even tried the fsutil volume dismount [DRIVE] idea with no luck.
I really didn't think it would be that simple because none of the other computers I've run my USB drive on have Everything installed, and none have indexing checked.
So I'm no further along.
As long as I don't start Veracrypt on the USB drive, it will eject just fine, it is only a problem once Veracrypt is loaded and I try to eject the drive after dismounting the encrypted drive.
I appreciate all the help ideas but it is still very frustrating.
BD
I found a SOLUTION for my case. Check if it works for you.