This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Hidden and Outer Passwords Identical

Topics: Technical Issues
May 11, 2016 at 3:13 PM
Yep, I screw up. I created a partition of 300Gb as the Outer volume to contain a Hidden volume, but being in knucklehead mode, I used the same password for both outer and hidden.

Does anybody know how I can permanently dismount the outer and hidden volumes and start again? I realized the error before adding files to the outer ...because the hidden volume is ...well, hidden! There is an error when attempting to permanently decrypt the volume: Error - can only in-place encrypt a partition.... (not sure what that means)

Any help in unraveling this mess would cause a torrent of cosmic blessings to rain down upon you.
May 11, 2016 at 4:04 PM
With the VeraCrypt volume dismounted, select the VeraCrypt volume and then click the Volume Tools button to select Change Volume Password.

Enter your old password and a new password that is different from the hidden password. This will change the outer volume's password leaving the hidden volume password the same.

Example:

Current passwords
Outer Password = A
Hidden Password = A

Perform Change Volume Password

Outer Password = C
Hidden Password = Remains set to A

Once you have different passwords for the outer/hidden volumes, you can change the hidden password in the future by using the Change Volume Password and using the current hidden password 'A' instead of the outer volume's password of 'C'.

I hope this helps.
May 11, 2016 at 5:16 PM
Oh man, you are awesome! Thank you for such a swift response.

Stand by for the cosmic blessings::::::