This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Option to turn off "Please wait" loading dialog

Topics: Feature Requests, Users Discussion
May 3, 2016 at 10:24 PM
Edited May 3, 2016 at 10:26 PM
Disclaimer: I already made an issue about this, then I realized I should have made a thread here first to discuss this topic, sorry. Still, I'd appreciate any input or even hints if this is already possible.

With multiple volumes loading one after each other (eg. loading favorites) watching the dialogs constantly pop up and hide can be a chore - because of their constant (focus) changing it makes work on the desktop cumbersome while the loading lasts, and it makes the loading time last mentally longer. Advanced users won't need such visual indicators. There could be an option to turn them off.
May 4, 2016 at 3:55 PM
Edited May 4, 2016 at 3:55 PM
Rather than your proposal for an option to turning off the loading dialog, a better approach would be subsequent volume mounts during Favorites/auto-mounts is to not steal the focus.

In other words, the first volume mount will steal the focus which is the desired behavior of an application performing work. However, subsequent volumes being mounted as part of the Favorite/auto-mount do not steal the focus so they can remain in the background if the user has switched focus to another Window or application.
May 4, 2016 at 4:08 PM
Each loading state is independent and opens a new window, so I don't know how "only the first window gets focus" could be done in a clear and easy way.

But another aspect is that I don't know why the loading screens would be necessary at all. The drives will appear as they are loaded. If mounting is unsuccessful, an error could pop up after a given timeout. Also, the background task tray icon animation could show that a mounting is underway.
May 4, 2016 at 5:32 PM
Edited May 4, 2016 at 6:44 PM
I will leave the details of how easy or hard to allow only the initial mount operation of "Please wait" dialog when mounting using Favorites or auto-mount to the developer. It could be a simple as a boolean flag when to steal the focus.

In my opinion, it is good application practice to show the user that the application is busy performing a task rather than hide the mounting operations especially since the main GUI will not be available until all mounting operations have been completed. Otherwise, you will have users complaining that they can't tell when all mounting operations have been completed unless they open Windows Explorer to look at the drives available or expand the system tray as with your proposal.
May 4, 2016 at 6:49 PM
Edited May 4, 2016 at 6:51 PM
It is, by default. I, like probably many others, mount the volumes with "/q /auto favorites" - to simply, quickly mount, bypassing the needless main window. The feat request is merely an checkbox/command line option for such users to bypass another distraction.
May 4, 2016 at 7:17 PM
Edited May 4, 2016 at 8:25 PM
With the main GUI closed and using hotkeys to mount multiple volumes using Favorites, you cannot "start" or access the main GUI until all mount operations have been completed.

The differences you and I have regarding the showing of the "Please wait" dialog will help Mounir decide if this feature is needed and how he wants the application to function to minimize future support issues from users if this feature is implemented. :-)

EDIT: Maybe Mounir will decide to implement both ideas.
May 5, 2016 at 8:13 PM
1.18 BETA 6 adds a /nowaitdlg command line switch / gui option to turn the dialog off :)
https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/technical/thread/9e760c29/
May 5, 2016 at 8:26 PM
Edited May 5, 2016 at 8:27 PM
Thank you for testing this added feature for both the GUI and the command line on your system. :-)