This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

While Using HDD Select Which Wipe Mode

Topics: Technical Issues
May 1, 2016 at 6:48 PM
Hi Again,

Hope you are well. I started to decide make full encryption on my HDD. Firstable, system HDD and then externals. But i stucked somewhere in wizard.

WipeMode

As you see (above link) in the picture, what is this step? I will encrypt my system HDD and whole drive, but will VC wipe my HDD before encryption? I didn't understand. I didnt want to make any risk. Could you please help me about this issue? I read description in picture but i couldn't understand completely. Could you please help me about this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.
May 2, 2016 at 8:06 AM
You can leave it to "none", dont worry. You can also opt for "wipe mode" and it will again NOT wipe any existing data. It will take much longer to do the encryption though.
May 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM
If it will NOT wipe my data why is there an option like "wipe"? I couldn't understand this. I know what does it mean wipe and methods but what it's purpose in here? Could you please explain me?
May 3, 2016 at 6:31 PM
Is there any forumlover to explain this?
May 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM
Hello,

Can you explain me VeraCrypt Engineers?
May 4, 2016 at 6:04 PM
Edited May 4, 2016 at 6:05 PM
Hello,

Try Google searching "magnetic force microscopy" to understand what that term means. Then read the screenshot you provided in your post and it should become clear what is being performed.

The wipe function is valid for both system encryption and non-system encryption except file containers.

A high level explanation of how the wipe works is shown below:
  1. VeraCrypt reads a data block into memory for encrypting.
  2. For wipe modes, VeraCrypt writes random data to the same data block on the target device N times depending on which option the user selected for the wipe mode.
  3. After all wipe operations are completed on the specific data block, VeraCrypt writes the encrypted data block back to the target device at the specific data block.
May 4, 2016 at 6:09 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
Hello,

Try Google searching "magnetic force microscopy" to understand what that term means. Then read the screenshot you provided in your post and it should become clear what is being performed.

The wipe function is valid for both system encryption and non-system encryption except file containers.

A high level explanation of how the wipe works is shown below:
  1. VeraCrypt reads a data block into memory for encrypting.
  2. For wipe modes, VeraCrypt writes random data to the same data block on the target device N times depending on which option the user selected for the wipe mode.
  3. After all wipe operations are completed on the specific data block, VeraCrypt writes the encrypted data block back to the target device at the specific data block.
Apologies from you i searched it but i couldnt trust except VC engineers. Now i got it. If i select wipe mode fopr ex: peter gutmann on a SYSTEM encryption, it will NOT wipe my data, only it fills out data blocks N times and then it will encrypt. Right? If yes, i need to choose this one for more secuirty (non recoverable), right?
May 4, 2016 at 7:20 PM
Edited May 4, 2016 at 7:56 PM
FYI: I am not a VeraCrypt developer or a VeraCrypt Engineer. I am a user of VeraCrypt just like you.

hasanalizxc wrote:
it will NOT wipe my data, only it fills out data blocks N times and then it will encrypt. Right?
Correct.

hasanalizxc wrote:
If yes, i need to choose this one for more secuirty (non recoverable), right?
Only you can decide what is your threat model and what level of security is appropriate for you. Based on Google searching I have performed in the past regarding wiping mechanical HDDs, one overwrite is needed to remove the concern of "magnetic force microscopy" on modern HDDs. Hence, merely encrypting your mechanical HDD with the Wipe option set to None is sufficient. However, Mounir has included the 3 and 35 passes for the paranoid people.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/574413

EDIT: It appears Mounir has provided the following Wipe options.
  • None
  • 1-pass (random data)
  • 3-pass (US DoD 5220.22-M)
  • 7-pass (US DoD 5220.22-M)
  • 35-pass ("Gutmann")
May 4, 2016 at 11:31 PM
I got it but i am confused is it possible recover data after make "software wipe methods (Gutmann, 3pass, DARIK, etc.)?
May 5, 2016 at 1:26 AM
I suggest that you research using Google to find the answers to your questions regarding various software hard drive wipe methods.
May 5, 2016 at 8:27 AM
My opinion is; the best way is make it by hardware and military destruction via drill or melt via acid, high temperature, etc. If anyone know the way by software please share it with us.