This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Hi Idrassi - About the 2 questions that you asked me on the EVIL MAID message

Topics: Technical Issues
Apr 21, 2016 at 7:56 PM
Hi Idrassi,

Last week I started a thread related to the Evil Maid messasge that I got in my new system and you asked me 2 questions related to it (about the VC bootloader and about if the Evil Maid message also appears in the original system). I answered those 2 questions already and if you have time would you take a look and I would appreicate if you could provide me some further info as to what I need to do from now on.

So far I stopped in the middle of creating the hidden OS (i.e. I pressed "DFFER" when VC prompted me to delete the orignal system) as I am not sure if I should just ignore the message and continue creating the hidden/decoy OS, or if I should dig deep to make sure that the Evil Maid message is just a false positive and not a concern.

You suggested me to make sure that the Evil Maid message is a false positive and to find the root cause for it before using the new system for sensitive stuffs. But now I am stuck not knowing what further things I have to do.

Idrassi, or fellow experienced VC users, please help. For my answers to Idrassi's questions, please see the original thread here.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/653605

Thanks.
Apr 21, 2016 at 7:58 PM
Regarding the "Flexnet" info in the docmenatation here,

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Incompatibilities

does it mean that if my system has Flexnet on it and if I don't use cascade algorithm when doing system encryption, I won't encounter such false positive?

Will using non-cascade algorithm eliminates any false positive? Will using cascade algorithm also elminates a true Evil Maid message if indeed the warning message is valid? (assuming the Flexnet might or might not appear in the system already).

Thanks.
Apr 21, 2016 at 8:26 PM
Please use the original thread. I posted an answer.