This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

About Veracrypt and using AES 256-bit

Topics: Users Discussion
Apr 16, 2016 at 9:49 PM
So, I always see Veracrypt make changes to their key strengths and making Veracrypt more immune to brute force attacks, but what does Veracrypt team think about this article: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/07/another_new_aes.html

In my personal opinion, this seems like a much bigger issue then brute force attacks and increasing iterations.

And yes, I do release that article dates back to 2009.
Apr 22, 2016 at 11:01 PM
So what, the developers have nothing to say to this or something?
Apr 23, 2016 at 10:51 AM
You don't think the topic was well discussed at Bruce's website?

The code base for VeraCrypt started from TrueCrypt. Not sure how many current developers there are, but ONE is most significant; if there are more than one, please let me know as they deserve credit as well for taking on TC after it's abandonment.
Apr 23, 2016 at 7:09 PM
I understand that Veracrypt started from TrueCrypt and yes I do understand that there has been no known attacks, yet, on AES encryption, but as a paranoid user, after reading that article, it makes me not even want to use AES 256-bit. I understand I can also use another cipher, as well, but doesn't solve the issue that Veracrypt maybe using a unsecure cipher.
Apr 24, 2016 at 6:31 PM
Rocknrollkid, tomorrow someone will invent some attack paper on Serpent, then on Twofish... and then what? you ll be not sleeping anymore? And then the riemann hypothesis will be either proved or disproved and then what? Nothing stands forever, relax.... breaking your AES256 is 100000^500 harder than paying 12 secret agents to tail you 24/7 for 5 years :)