This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Can VeraCrypt be used to encrypt sda1 on a CentOS 7 VM?

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Apr 16, 2016 at 6:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I have searched (Binged and Googled) for a simple set of instructions to encrypt the OS Disk of a CentOS 7 VM where I do not need to enter a passphrase upon VM reboot.

The goal is to simple encrypt the OS Disk so in the event someone were to delete the VM and attach the VHD containing the OS Disk to a running VM they are unable to access the files. So to provide more context I am not looking for steps to encrypt a data disk that is attached to a VM, plenty of instructions around to accomplish that.

First question: can the above mentioned, encrypt OS disk, be accomplished using VeraCrypt?

Second question, can anyone provide some guidelines (better Google search terms to current content) if it can be accomplished where to start?

I did install VeraCrypt using the CLI and tried encrypting sda1, which eventually faulted. I am assuming it faulted do to my noob-ness in the area of disks and encryption and probably can not do that since the VM is using sda1 at the same time.

I hope this all makes sense and not as clear as mud. Thank you for any help in advance.