This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Problem if I cannot turn on my Pc with VeraCrypt installed

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Apr 10, 2016 at 10:44 AM
Hi, please I need an advice,

A friend of mine installed VeraCrypt on my D drive but I had a strong doubt : I have Windows 10 installed on the C drive, while the D drive is protected by VeraCrypt like I said... if one day I did not succeed to turn on my PC for any reason, how could I decrypt the data from the disk D?

I have no idea, I'm not an expert at all, should I remove the D drive and attach it to a new PC and install again VeraCrypt ? But in this way I could lose all my back up maybe, what could be a solution ? Thank you
Apr 10, 2016 at 11:41 AM
The "D: drive" is not a backup, is it?

You need backups. VC has the data encrypted. If you want to lessen the risk of loss of that volume, then you need the data on it to be on different media (backed up), it could be another VC volume. You should also backup the header for the VC volume(s), in case they become corrupt for whatever reason.

With your backups, your key file(s) if you are using them and your password/passphrase, then the drive should be able to be decrypted on any new system running VC (without loss of data, unless there is media failure, but then you will have the backup volume won't you?).

It is actually likely that your friend installed VC in to the Windows installation, it may be a portable install, but is more likely to be fully installed. You need to talk with your friend and get some answers so that you know what is going on with your computer.
Apr 10, 2016 at 11:54 AM
Someone else has a more technical explaination when you say "With your backups, your key file(s) if you are using them and your password/passphrase, then the drive should be able to be decrypted on any new system running VC".

I belive that if I have VC on an another Pc, it has already installed and that means that I just dismount my D drive that I have attached phisically ? It's so simple isn't it ?
Apr 10, 2016 at 6:11 PM
Yes, if you have a drive that you can dismount, you can take it to another machine that has VC installed and you should be able to mount it on the other machine.
Apr 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM
I'm sorry if I'm so so hard to understand, you said "should be able to mount it on the other machine"

I would like to know if you are sure 100% if VC on another machine recognize automatically the crypted D drive in order to mount it ?? Thanks
Apr 12, 2016 at 1:00 PM
What counts is your passphrase, the PIM number (if you are using one), any key file(s) if they are involved and a copy of VC to run (installed or portable). If you have all those, then you have what you need to mount the volume on another Windows machine.
Apr 12, 2016 at 6:13 PM
Ok Thank You