This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Drag-and-Drop to select a file to be mounted.

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Apr 2, 2016 at 3:32 PM
First of all, my apologies if this appears to be a double post: I first posted this to the discussion in SourceForge, but then saw that "recent" posts were from 2015! I then found this site, which looks more up to date.

This issue seems quite basic, but I don't appear to be able to do a Drag-and-Drop to select a file to be mounted.

When I drag an encrypted volume file to the VC GUI, the icon suggests it's ok (a plus (+) sign), but when I release the file, nothing happens. I must go through the "Select File", then navigate to my file (I have my VC configured to not remember anything).

If I drag the volume file to the shortcut icon or or even directly to the .exe (be it 32 or 64 bit), I receive the message "Error while parsing command line".

TC allowed this, as do most other applications...

Thanks!
-Paul
Apr 3, 2016 at 1:50 AM
Hi,

I can't reproduce your issue. Drag-n-drop works as expected unless you are trying to drop on an instance of VeraCrypt that was run elevated using UAC ("Administrator" in the title) in which case it can't work because of security mechanisms in Vista and newer versions that forbid low integrity processes to communicate with higher integrity processes. This security mechanism applies to all applications including TrueCrypt. Are you sure you are running VeraCrypt as non elevated process?

Concerning dropping on VeraCrypt shortcut, I can't reproduce it neither. What version of Windows and VeraCrypt are you using? Did you install VeraCrypt or are you running VeraCrypt in portable mode and you manually created the shortcut icon?
Apr 3, 2016 at 2:13 AM
Hi, Mounir

Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm not running as Administrator (though I do have administrative privileges on my computer). My shortcut doesn't have "Run as Administrator", and the title of the running app doesn't have "Administrator" in it.

I am running 64-bit version 1.16 on 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise.

I don't remember, but it is possible I installed VC as a Portable app, as this is my preferred mode ("installing" apps tends to leave so much detritus behind). Do you think a formal install might make a difference?
Apr 3, 2016 at 2:23 AM
I usually prefer portable apps too, but VC works best as an installed app due to the requirement of needing administrator privileges to mount volumes.
Apr 3, 2016 at 2:35 AM
Thanks, Affinity

I just checked my "Add/Remove Programs", and VC isn't in there, which suggests that I didn't do a formal install.
I'll do so tomorrow, because mounting and dismounting my volumes is a bit of a process, as so many other things depend on them (read, layered security), and report back.
Apr 3, 2016 at 2:52 AM
1.16 is old now, 1.17 has been out since Feb. 13 ... may as well use the latest stable version.
Apr 3, 2016 at 3:08 AM
Well, a month an a half isn't a very long time, and I'm not a big fan of bleeding edge, but I'll look into 1.17.
Apr 3, 2016 at 3:30 AM
Likewise IRT bleeding edge, but you might want to read the release notes, I think there is more than enough to encourage you to go the later version ;-)

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Release%20Notes
Apr 3, 2016 at 10:44 PM
OK, so you convinced me :)

I figured that if I was going to do a "traditional" install (as opposed to a Portable one), I might as well do it with the latest version.

Problem solved! Of course, this "unscientific" method of changing more than one variable means I don't know if it's the new version or the formal install (probably the latter), but I'm happy it's working now!

So, I can drag-and-drop both onto the shortcut, and onto the GUI.

Thanks, Affinity and Mounir!