This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Transfer vc boot loader to the usb / erase boot loader from disk

Topics: Technical Issues
Mar 31, 2016 at 2:04 PM
Hi, is there easy way of booting fully encrypted system from other media (CD/DVD/flash), without the need of having veracrypt bootloader present, revealing it's presence. I know I can use decoy os, but in this particular case I have a small ssd drive and I cannot afford to waste ~10GB for just decoy OS.

The plan is this - install OS, backup boot loader (dd comes to my mind), encrypt the system, transfer VC boot loader to a flash drive, rewrite the veracrypt boot loader on hard drive with the windows one I previously backed up. This way I will have patition full of random data and a standard boot loader.

The question is this: Will the above work? Is there easy way of having the fully encrypted system without having the vc boot loader present?

Thanks.
Mar 31, 2016 at 3:01 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2016 at 3:03 PM
I thought that you could simply use the rescue disk to boot the OS; is that not right?

The rescue disk even has an option to "restore original system loader" ... not sure if that is pre-install of VC, but I think it is.

Edit: using that option seems top require you to decrypt the drive first... I don't think it should, but it does.