This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Bootloader issue: Have to restart computer after an incorrect password attempt

Topics: Technical Issues
Mar 22, 2016 at 3:56 PM
Major issue:
Every time I enter my password in the VeraCrypt bootloader incorrectly for the first time, any following attempts would always give me "incorrect password" message, no matter how many times I try or how extra sure I am that the password entered is correct. I have to shutdown the computer and restart to enter a correct password.
I have done some tests to be sure that this behavior is persistent/consistent on my computer.

Minor issue:
When VeraCrypt bootloader starts, I cannot enter anything in it for about 10 seconds. After that initial freeze, I can type normally. Although, if I tried typing anything during that freeze, they would appear all at once after the freeze is over.

Anyone has any idea what went wrong and how I can fix this? Thanks!
Mar 22, 2016 at 5:52 PM
Install 1.18 Beta 2 to resolve the major issue of additional attempts to enter the correct password in the bootloader still results in incorrect password message. Do you still experience the ~10 second freeze using 1.18 Beta 2?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/files/VeraCrypt%20Nightly%20Builds/
Marked as answer by HawkTroy on 3/22/2016 at 10:08 AM
Mar 22, 2016 at 6:08 PM
Just installed 1.18 Beta and both issues are now solved!
Thanks a lot!
Mar 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM
Correction:
The "major issue" is solved, but the "minor issue" is not really solved.
There's no freeze if it's a reboot. That's why I initially thought the issue's gone. But if it's a cold boot, there's still a freeze.
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2016 at 11:20 PM
There is no difference in VeraCrypt bootloader between a cold boot and reboot: once the bootloader is started, it waits for keyboard input and it displays the stars as soon as a key event is received.
So, to me, this looks like an issue in the BIOS of your machine or the keyboard attached to the machine. It looks like the keyboard needs few seconds to be detected correctly by the BIOS and during this time, all typed keys remain in the memory of the keyboard and they are sent at once when BIOS detects the keyboard.

By chance, are you using a wireless keyboard?
Aug 28, 2016 at 1:10 AM
HawkTroy wrote:
Minor issue:
When VeraCrypt bootloader starts, I cannot enter anything in it for about 10 seconds. After that initial freeze, I can type normally. Although, if I tried typing anything during that freeze, they would appear all at once after the freeze is over.

Anyone has any idea what went wrong and how I can fix this? Thanks!
Recently when I upgraded to Windows 10 without system encryption, I experienced the initial 10 - 15 second delay before my keyboard would work independent of VeraCrypt.

In my BIOS, I changed "USB3.0 Configuration in Pre-OS" from Auto to Enabled to resolve the initial 10 - 15 second delay.
Aug 28, 2016 at 2:52 AM
The issue is gone last month after I did a clean install of my system. There were several changes to my laptop so I couldn't pinpoint what fixed it. But come to think of it, I did update the BIOS, so that could be where the problem was.

I was using the laptop's built in keyboard, not a wireless one.