This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Problem with outer/hidden volume

Topics: Technical Issues
Mar 5, 2016 at 11:23 AM
Edited Mar 5, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Hi,
I've been using Veracrypt for some time now and it worked just fine, but recently I run down an interesting problem: I have an encrypted file container with a hidden volume. And now i can't open an outer volume (I'm completely sure I provide the right password and keyfile), but at the same time I can succesfully open the hidden volume and work with its contents.

Nevertheless, in case I was wrong about the password/keyfile for the outer volume I've just created a new encrypted volume. It was all normal during the creation process, I created an outer volume, succesfully mounted it with my new password, copied some files into it and then created the hidden one. And now I have the same issue: I can open the hidden volume and cannot open the outer one.

I've tried to restore an embedded header key for both of the outer volumes and it didn't work. Unfortunately, I didn't make external header backups.

The first encrypted file container (100 GB) was created with Veracrypt 1.16, the second one (200 GB) - with Veracrypt 1.17. Any advice, please?
Mar 5, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2016 at 12:10 PM
In addition to my initial post: I've tried to create a third test encryption container. All options were the same except the size (1 GB) and encryption algorithm. Now it is AES only for both outer and hidden volumes (the previous were cascaded algorithms) and it works fine with both hidden and outer volume.

Does it mean my issues were caused by insufficient hardware performance?
If positive, why does it all work with hidden volumes?
Is there anything I could do to restore data from my first two encrypted containers?