This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

S.O.S.! How to Decrypt System Drive With Fake Pre-boot Text?

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Mar 4, 2016 at 3:05 PM
I have my Windows system drive setup with full disk encryption. I got stuck in a Windows 8.1 "Automatic system repair" boot loop and I can't fix it with my drive encrypted. I have my veracrypt setup with 'Do not show any texts in the pre-boot authentication screen' and some fake text there so I can't get to the decryption options. I tried to use my rescue disk but it's damaged. I CAN run veracrypt from my linux Live USB but I tried to mount my Windows system partition and it just keeps loading forever. Is there an easy way to access decryption options when you have fake text set? I'm still waiting to see if this mounts in Linux but even if it does, I don't see the options in the Linux version to remove the 'Do not show any texts in the pre-boot authentication screen' option and I also don't know if decrypting from Linux will do so in a way that I'll be able to boot back into Windows recovery to fix my problem. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Mar 4, 2016 at 3:19 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2016 at 3:20 PM
I just got the drive mounted in Linux but there's no option to remove the 'Do not show any texts in the pre-boot authentication screen' option or to decrypt. Not even an option to make a new recovery ISO.