This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

System Partition vs. Entire Drive

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Feb 29, 2016 at 11:04 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer by searching this forum or on Google.

I've been using containers for quite some time and then I read that ''system encryption provides the highest level of security and privacy''.

I therefore tried to encrypt my entire system drive, but I received a message advising me not to do so because I had a ''non standard partition'' or something like that. It therefore suggested that I only encrypt the system partition as opposed to the entire system drive.

I am wondering what is the difference when it comes to security if only encrypting the system partition as opposed to the entire system drive? Is it less secure if only the system partition is encrypted? Will sensitive data be vulnerable if only the system partition is encrypted as opposed to the entire system drive?

Thanks for letting me know :)
Mar 1, 2016 at 1:26 AM
You cannot encrypt the System Reserved partition or Windows will not boot.

Depending on your PC manufacturer, you may not want to encrypt the recovery partitions or system tools partitions provided by the manufacturer since these can only be accessed before the boot sequence by pressing F11 or a certain function key for your PC during power-up.

You can encrypt the other non-system partitions on the system drive or any other drive using the same password/PIM that you used to encrypt the system partition to mount during Windows startup by using System Favorites. See the documentation regarding System Favorites.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=System%20Favorite%20Volumes