This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Update to Version 1.17

Topics: Technical Issues
Feb 14, 2016 at 9:53 PM
Hey guys,

I currently use v. 1.13 and I have encrypted my whole system.

How to update to version 1.17? Just download and (over)install it?

I use a long password with pim. The verification takes more than 5 minutes..... is this shit already solved in the new update?....
Feb 14, 2016 at 10:10 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2016 at 10:26 PM
First dismount all encrypted volumes. Do not worry about dismounting the system encryption of the OS.

Upgrade is simple as download the new software and run the installer.

When prompted, reboot PC. Do not defer the reboot.

Create new rescue disk.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/267

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/215

What value did you set for your PIM that takes five minutes to mount? You can reread the calculation in the documentation and adjust the PIM accordingly for the desired time you are wanting for mount times.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Personal%20Iterations%20Multiplier%20%28PIM%29
Feb 14, 2016 at 11:06 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2016 at 11:07 PM
As long as I know the verification process runs on 8 bit but could do at least 32 bit.
And as far as I know this is the problem why it takes so f**** long.

My pim is higher than 120.
Sometimes verification takes nearly 10 minutes.... this isn't reasonable - and don't tell me to set a lower pim....

If I'm here already... I have got one more question.
If I do system updates sometimes I need to restart several times... is it possible to jump the password verification once if i set it before?
Otherwise I need to wait 2-3 times 5-10 minutes just for restarting the system.
Feb 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM
The release notes says the new version reduce mount/boot time by half.
The current bootloader is 16-bit. I believe the developer is already working on a 32-bit bootloader, but it takes time.

Why don't you want to set a lower PIM if you're already using a long password? (I'm assuming it's actually strong)

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can skip preboot authentication on reboot.
Can cached password survive a reboot? (in principle probably, but what about in practice for average end users?)
Feb 16, 2016 at 3:54 PM
As far as I know, memory should not survive a reboot, but the password could be stored somewhere on disk, read after the reboot from there and then securely wiped. But this could be a big security hole, if improperly used. You can request it in the issues menu.
Feb 16, 2016 at 4:29 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2016 at 4:30 PM
I'll try to update to 1.17 and let's see how the verification time changes.

Yes it is 16 Bit - but could be 32 or even 64.... this would make much more sense for me to implement than some of the other changes that came along with the recent updates.

I want an unbreakable system. That's why I use high pim AND long / good password.
Feb 16, 2016 at 4:40 PM
It really is faster. Not 50 %. But I would guess something about 30-40%.

But 4-5 minutes still is a long time...
Feb 19, 2016 at 7:34 AM
1337LEET wrote:
I want an unbreakable system. That's why I use high pim AND long / good password.
I think you are only making the life harder for yourself, even the default pim is very strong. When they will want to have your password, they can send a drone to record your keystrokes, hack your smart tv to see your fingers, install a hidden camera, whatever. And when they fail, they can always send swat unit or freak in a hood to steal your device mounted. Then even the strongest password in the world will be completely useless. Even the PIM with value 1 and a good pasword cannot be hacked via bruteforce, so prepare for anything but a policemen in the suit waiting at your doorbell for your dismounted device :)
Feb 19, 2016 at 10:11 AM
10 minutes verification????? are you sure you are not doing backup of all your HD to the NSA server while you are waiting to login ? :)

On a small netbook running 1gb ram and atom cpu from probably 2009.... i takes me about 90 sec to login with "short" password and max iterations.
Mar 29, 2016 at 9:59 PM
Alex512 wrote:
10 minutes verification????? are you sure you are not doing backup of all your HD to the NSA server while you are waiting to login ? :)

On a small netbook running 1gb ram and atom cpu from probably 2009.... i takes me about 90 sec to login with "short" password and max iterations.
Sure... I use a workstation with i7 quadcore and 16 GB ram.