This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

keyboard shortcuts for hash algorithms

Topics: Feature Requests
Feb 13, 2016 at 5:44 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2016 at 6:21 PM
Hello, I think it would be great to have the possibility to pick the hash algorithm using keyboard shortcut in password prompt dialog. Each algorithm could have its unique shorcut, I suggest numbers, sha512 (1), whirlpool (2), sha256 (3) and so on and they can be picked by alt+number. Example for sha-512:

myverysecretpassword<alt>1<enter> and that's it

With the recent optimizations and the hash algorithm manually selected is the mounting speed reduced to minimum even on older hardware, so there's no need for PIM. User only has to remember the password and optionally the hash algorithm, if he wants to improve mounting speed.

I'm aware, that hash can be preset in settings (nice), but I don't like anything stored which might give the adversary even a bit of clue ;-)

Thank you.
Jun 17, 2016 at 6:23 PM
Nobody uses keyboard? I hope that it stays at least for password typing ;-)

Btw. I'm skeptic about the security of the biometric detections and I don't like them for privacy reasons too. Printing A4 on a color laser printer with someones face and showing it to webcam is not difficult and fingerprints can be easily obtained and faked too, at least from what I have read.
Jun 18, 2016 at 5:20 PM
Cool, thanks for mentioning that it's faster to mount if you preselect it. It takes only half or a third of the time in my case :)

Maybe you could use the commandline options to pre-select the hash type with "/hash"

I use
"C:\Program Files\VeraCrypt\VeraCrypt.exe" /l <letter> /v <volume> /c /h n /q /hash <type>
for valid values of <type> see https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Command%20Line%20Usage
and afterwards
"C:\Program Files\VeraCrypt\VeraCrypt.exe" /w /s /q
to clear the password cache. Alternatively, if you mount only one volume, you could remove the "/c" from the mount command.
Jun 19, 2016 at 11:38 AM
Edited Jun 19, 2016 at 11:39 AM
Thanks, I'm aware of the command line options, but if I will store it into shortcut/batch script, it still gives the attacker a perfect clue what encryption I use, same as when I save it into the preferences, which is what I don't want.
Jun 19, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Oh, you're right. That would save some time for the attacker.

I think the alt+number shortcut should be fairly easy to implement. You have my vote for it :)
Dec 9, 2016 at 2:17 PM
I have created issue, I'd be glad if you could vote there: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/616

Easy patch of language.xml will not help here as in case of PIM, because PKCS are not defined there so no shortcut can be given :-(