This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Container opens only in read-only mode

Topics: Technical Issues
Feb 5, 2016 at 3:17 AM
Have a container file that has been created by Truecrypt (format version 2) several years ago and was used with no problems.
A week ago decided to try out Veracrypt (v.1.16 64 bit) and opened that file container.
All was fine. Next time I mount the file it open in read-only mode.
Can't write or even run programs from it.

Software - both TC and VC are extracted and run from folders (portable).
Volume - file container, when mounting "read-only" is checked off; after is mounter shows as "Read-only Yes" in volume properties.
OS is Win7 64bit

Created a test file container in TC, opened in Veracrypt, closed, open in TC again - all fine, no issues.
File permissions are not read-only. What else could it be?
Feb 13, 2016 at 9:30 PM
Can't believe this issue is so unique nobody had encountered it before or able to help to resolve it.

Clearly, something has to do with Verycrypt as the container has been used with TC for a long time.
What could possibly trigger it to be deemed read-only? Where and how can I change it back to normal??
Feb 14, 2016 at 6:23 AM
Edited Feb 14, 2016 at 6:50 AM
Something changed the permission or user ownership on the file container.

My suggestion is to try to create a small file container in the same directory where your read-only file container exists using the same Windows account that you are using to open the file container that is read-only. If you are unable to create the file container, then the directory permissions/ownership is the culprit.

If you are able to create the file container successfully, review the security settings, advanced security settings and ownership between the two file containers to look for differences both dismounted and mounted.
Feb 15, 2016 at 1:58 AM
You are absolutely right, the ownership has changed.
Up to now I didn't do exactly what you suggested, but created small file at different location and also copied this one to yet another location. Both are working fine.

The culprit is definitely VeraCrypt that somehow triggered such ownership change. I'm very curious how and why that happened.

On the other side, I'm yet unsuccessful at changing the owner as Win7 complains about the media being read-only. "Uunable to set new owner.Media is write-protected"
It's more of Win issue and I'll have to resolve it. Still very interested why would VC cause this.
Feb 15, 2016 at 2:10 AM
I encountered the same issue you describe with another person I helped on their PC.

The problem is Windows security can be different between directories or drives or partitions. Depending on the way security was setup, the file copied/moved into the directory inherits the directory's security.

You can read about the issue I discovered in the ticket below which may assist you in your problem.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/265
Feb 16, 2016 at 1:23 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Unfortunately, I still fail to see the solution or even the cause of the problem.
Feb 16, 2016 at 2:55 AM
Edited Feb 16, 2016 at 2:58 AM
When you get the error "Unable to set new owner. Media is write-protected", is that with the file container dismounted?

Are attempting to change the ownership or permission using a Windows account with Administrator privileges?

Google searching using your error shows a possible solution.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/i-am-unable-to-change-ownership-of-a-file/955dd4bb-551f-4479-aa0f-4907fb49f540?auth=1
Feb 17, 2016 at 1:24 AM
Thanks for questions and suggestions.
I've done research prior to asking here. All the files in the volume changed the owner and became read-only.

In short, was able to trace it to whole external drive being somehow reset to read-only. Don't know how yet, looking to change.
Feb 17, 2016 at 2:15 AM
Enigma, thanks for your help.

Finally got it resolved. So basically, somehow the whole external drive got into read-only state.
I used diskpart utility to look at it before, but it didn't show read-only attributes.
This time I just went ahead and cleared readonly attributes and that's it. That actually had done it. So far, at least.
If anyone needs help on how to use it, let me know.