This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Does Veracrypt interfere with Windows 10 File History etc.?

Topics: Technical Issues
Jan 28, 2016 at 3:41 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2016 at 3:42 PM
Some time back a Caution was listed by Gizmo's ...

__Fred Langa reported* that VeraCrypt, TrueCrypt, and similar products interfere with File History, Custom Recovery Image creation and UEFI Secure Boot in Windows 8. The portable configurations are no better, because they install the same low-level drivers, which cause the problem) as the installed version. It's not clear if Windows 10 is also effected. It may depend on the devices specific hardware configuration.

UEFI is a complex system that is easily disrupted. Elements of those encryption products were developed long before Microsoft introduced UEFI. It's not surprising that the low level drivers that these encryption programs rely on aren't compatible with UEFI.
  • "Why VeraCrypt won’t work with Windows 8" and "VeraCrypt: A superior alternative to TrueCrypt?" by Fred Langa. Scroll half way down those pages to find the titles shown here.
On the other hand: Gizmo installed both TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt on the one Windows 10 PC with UEFI boot that Gizmo have available, and Windows File History works correctly on it. I have also been able to create a Custom System Image for Windows 10.__

My question ... does Veracrypt interfere with File History, Custom Recovery Image creation and UEFI Secure Boot in Windows 10?
Jan 28, 2016 at 4:45 PM
would be good to have the article :)
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2016 at 9:33 PM
For me, this is simply nonsense...it is a collection of words with no real explanation nor reference.

The author really needs to prove his points because I don't see how VeraCrypt would differ from any other encryption solution. It looks more like an article to scare people from using encryption without any valid argument.

Take for example the "UEFI Secure Boot" statement: of course, VeraCrypt is not compatible with UEFI if you want to encrypt your system but it will never disrupt such system and you can use it to mount volumes without impacting system behavior.

As RandomNameforCode said, I would like to read the article by my own eyes...either the journalist doesn't know what is he talking about or he is misleading his readers on purpose!
Jan 28, 2016 at 10:35 PM
All good points ... I certainly noticed some odd behavior in Windows 7 file explorer after the install of TrueCrypt. But was it TrueCrypt?

Fred Langa is a respected journalist ... And normally posts facts. So that's why I ask.

I guess my problem is as you stated ...there isn't enough information.

So I am looking for users to indicate that the problem doesn't exist in Windows 10. Or someone to confirm the "problem" was fixed. Or someone to say there is a problem ... So ... What think you all?
Jan 29, 2016 at 5:17 PM
I don't even know what exactly "file history" is supposed to be.
How can you expect someone to indicate/confirm if you do not provide a source? A URL, A quote or something.....
Jan 29, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Errr … Everything after “Fred Langa reported …” is a quotation … I didn’t provide the link because I quoted everything verbatim …. that’s all there is. I did a search and couldn’t locate the original source … but Fred Langa is usually reliable.

Sorry … that’s all I got … I get it … not perfect … that’s why I have a question. If I knew the answer … I wouldn’t ask.

It would be more helpful to report that you do/don’t have a problem with VeraCrypt on Windows 10 though. Just saying’ …

Damian Szigeti

[email removed]

Coordinator
Jan 29, 2016 at 11:12 PM
Simple answer: VeraCrypt has no problem on Windows 10.

In your first post, the last sentence indicates that "Gizmo" didn't find any problem with VeraCrypt with respect to File History and Custom System Image creation. This is a confirmation that Fred Langa statement is wrong.

PS:
there is a limitation affecting sharing VeraCrypt volumes on local network. If the volume is mounted as removable media on Windows 10 and shared over network, then accessing the shared volume from other Windows machine will result in an access denied error. To solve this issue, one must just not mount as removable media. And since the default is to not mount as removable media, the default VeraCrypt installation on Windows 10 doesn't suffer from this limitation.
More info: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/642388#post1443253
Feb 4, 2016 at 5:28 AM
Thanks for your input idrassi .... I am very close to installing on a new Windows 10 system. Typed on my mobile ... Please excuse any typos. Thank you. Damian Szigeti Director of Engineering ProActive Technologies LLC 5712 Dot Com Court Oviedo, FL 32765
407.701.3584 Cell 321.319.0440 x165 Phone 321.319.0445 Fax [email removed] ProActiveTechinc.com The information transmitted (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is intended only for the person(s)
or entity/entities to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.