Veracrypt drive turned into ntfs

Topics: Users Discussion
Jan 25, 2016 at 1:16 AM
I was installing windows to a new drive that I got. When I was installing it I picked to install it to the new drive. After I installed all of the drivers etc I tried to mount my drive. It said that it was part of the system and that I shouldnt mount it. I looked and it was considered an active and primary drive. There was no data on the drive however so I am not sure why it affected my drive. All of the data for windows etc is on my new drive. When i dismounted it and tried to remount it, it now says that it is not a veracrypt drive. Is there a way to get the data back on it?

edit currently just a blank ntfs drive no data on it
Jan 28, 2016 at 2:03 PM
Was the entire disk used as a volume? (no MBR/GPT and thereby no Partitions present) ?
Maybe Windows setup "inititialized" this disk for you then.
Jan 29, 2016 at 8:10 PM
That's the reason, why I usually unplug all my secondary drives from the system, when I do a windows install. It wouldn't be the first time that win install have f*cked up a system.

And to answer your question, If you have a backup from the header, then maybe you can restore back something.
Feb 1, 2016 at 2:46 PM
If it was just initialize, deleting MBR/GPT and using the backup header should work as well.