This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Auto-Lock and Auto-Dismount

Topics: Feature Requests, Users Discussion
Jan 21, 2016 at 12:53 AM
Edited Jan 21, 2016 at 12:53 AM
If I create an encrypted volume on my harddrive, say a 100GB size volume, in order to access it I need to run Veracrypt and mount the volume to a drive letter.

It will then remain unlocked until I dismount it.

What happens if I forget to dismount it? Is there a way to set this up so that the volume will automatically dismount if there is no computer activity for a few minutes or the screen saver comes on?

What happens if the computer looses power while the volume was di-mounted, will that corrupt the data?

Thanks
Jan 21, 2016 at 4:34 AM
See the link below for the various settings for Auto-Dismount in the Settings > Preferences.
http://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/technical/thread/d36e6405/#6322/92d4
Anytime a computer loses power unexpectedly can cause corruption to mounted or dismounted volumes. Always backup your data.
Feb 5, 2016 at 6:56 AM
And use an uninterruptible power supply. (Not a substitute for regularly backing up, though!)
Feb 5, 2016 at 2:59 PM
Hi Enigma2Illusion,
I would like to know if a user had Shutdown / Restart / Hibernate / Sleep the Windows OS without dismounting the 'encrypted file container', will the file container be corrupted / damaged permanently and that might lead to data loss ?

Hi Idrassi,
Feature Request: Requesting you to consider add options in "VeraCrypt - Preferences", to Auto-Dismount encrypted file container(s) when user Shutdowns / Restarts / Hibernates the Windows OS

Thanks
Anten
Feb 5, 2016 at 3:47 PM
Hello Anten,

VeraCrypt already has options in the Settings > Preferences for Dismount. You can see the various options in the menu.

I would check "Force auto-dismount" to close VeraCrypt volumes that are being used by applications to avoid corrupting the volume.

Kind Regards.
Feb 6, 2016 at 6:48 AM
Hi Enigma2Illusion,

Thanks for your response. I didn't see the options properly :)
Feb 9, 2016 at 8:40 PM
AntenRoy wrote:
I would like to know if a user had Shutdown / Restart / Hibernate / Sleep the Windows OS without dismounting the 'encrypted file container', will the file container be corrupted / damaged permanently and that might lead to data loss ?
I don't use file containers much, but I use encrypted partitions. I use veacrypt daily, computer sleeps (not hibernates) several times daily (mounted of course) and before going to bed, I'm usually lazy waking it up, dismounting and shutting down, so I just take out the power plug. I don't recommend anyone to do it this way, but I'm doing this for several years (previously did this with truecrypt) and never experienced data loss because I forgot to dismount partition. Windows complain, they were improperly shut down, but nothing serious ever happened, sometimes windows only invoke chkdsk to fix the file system, but veracrypt/truecrypt never complained. I guess file containers can get damaged easier, but that's a file system thing, not veracrypt fault, I can say that at least partition handling is very robust, I don't think I could have been that lucky because I'm doing the exact opposite everybody recommends. Back up your data and don't worry to use this great product ;-)
Feb 12, 2016 at 5:37 PM
Thanks sharing your experience testosalv. You are quite lucky with the way you power off your system and nothing happens.

Its safe for me to backup the entire file container in cloud storage just in case for some reason the container gets corrupted in my system.