Bypass cache this time only.

Topics: Feature Requests
Jan 20, 2016 at 4:02 PM
I looked through the command line options and I could not see this option which I believe would speed up access to volumes and drives for a lot of people.

I personally manually type a long random password into Veracrypt to open a volume containing my keyfiles which I use for other drives. I like to use the cache passwords feature as I often return to this volume throughout the day.

However when I use a script which is within the newly opened keyfile volume I have to wait while Veracrypt tries all the other passwords in the cache which I have entered that day.

My request is that there is a switch we could use within our batch scripts which would tell Veracrypt not to use the cache this time only.

So the command could look something like...

VeraCrypt-x64.exe /v myvolume.tc /l x /a /p "" /k keyfile.txt /bypass_cache

The /bypass_cache switch tells Veracrypt to ignore the currently stored cache and insert the password + keyfile directly.

Actually thinking about it, I guess this could be done automatically by Veracrypt. If the batch script command line includes a valid /p password or a valid /k keyfile then Veracrypt should not use the cache.

If you like this idea would you please add it to the feature request ticket system on my behalf ?

Thank you.
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2016 at 10:52 PM
I agree that having the possibility to bypass can be helpful in situations like the one you are describing.

As you pointed it, no need for a new switch since we can detect if the user has supplied a password and/or keyfile.

The current behavior exists since TrueCrypt days and I think it existed only as a solution in situations where wrong password/keyfile are used in scripts or maybe also as a way to obfuscate the real password/keyfile of volumes. In all cases, I don't think such behavior should continue to exist and I don't see any argument for keeping it.

I have pushed a commit to modify this: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/a3b537a005cb023cc8683f8fd994ffa5a17c5e95

It will be included in the next beta build.

Issue ticket updated: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/373
Feb 2, 2016 at 3:41 AM
Hello Mounir,

Can this feature request be extended to the GUI?

I use the GUI for mounting volumes and there are times I want to mount a new volume with a different password and I have to wait for the cached passwords to fail.

Kind Regards.
Feb 2, 2016 at 1:18 PM
Thank you very much Mounir, this will save a lot of time for people.

I am not sure what has happened to you these last couple of months, but I have been watching you work on VeraCrypt and you seem to be really going for it just recently !!

You have made huge progress between version 16 and version 17. Fixing bugs first and now you are adding features at a rapid rate !

All I can say is thank you for protecting our private files for us.
Feb 9, 2016 at 5:11 PM
Mounir, I have just tested 1.17 Beta 20 and everything works great.

I can have the security of high iterations and still have speedy access to my drives.

Thank you very much.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2016 at 6:50 AM
@DBKray: thank you for your tests and feedback.

As for my work on VeraCrypt, I do my best to give it as much time as possible but it is not regular and sometimes because of my family life and other work obligations I have to slow down its pace which implies less postings and less commits. So, when I have free time, I try to work as hard as possible to compensate for the lost time.