This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

transparen mounting of extended partitions

Topics: Users Discussion
Jan 17, 2016 at 4:35 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2016 at 4:42 PM
Hello

I have a question about mounting extended volumes.
At the time of Truecrypt I had problems when mounting extended volumes.
The Boot partitions where windows was installed was fully transparent meaning that the c: partition was mounted as it was not encrypted but the extended partition like d: or e: etc were seen twice one encrypted volume and one unencrypted volume.
This is a big problem when it comes to backups. E.g. Acronis could not backup these volumes since it wants to access also the encrypted one which fails.
Also other tools showing e.g. hard disk performance tools have problems when having this "double" partitions.
Today I'm using Diskcryptor which works well because you will only see one partition (one drive). If it is loaded it is unencrypted and when unloaded the same partition (drive) is encrypted (and windows immediately asks if it should format , since it cannot read it). So everything is transparent for all SW.
As I remember on Truecrypt it was only fully transparent for the boot partition.
So the question is if this is still the same behavior on VeraCrypt? I could not find something in the documentation.
Jul 3, 2016 at 8:34 AM
Any hint about this question?
Thx + regards, p.
Jul 6, 2016 at 4:56 PM
The preffered way is to hide letter from disk management tool (start - run - diskmgmt.msc) and I'm pretty sure it is mentioned in the documentation.

You can also change partition type to some ID which windows don't understand (like 0x74 which scramdisk used, if I remember correctly), then you won't ever see those extra letters when unmounted. You can do this using some third party partition manager (which could be destructive), or using linux live USB and fdisk tool, which does not touch anything other than the partition ID.

I agree, that if Veracrypt could change the partitioon ID itself, it would be much more user friendly.