This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

I think there's a bug?

Topics: Technical Issues
Jan 10, 2016 at 3:01 PM
Hello.

I created an encrypted file "FILE". Put some files in it. Then I created a hidden volume inside of there. Then I put some files in that place.

I then put "FILE" in a USB stick. Just drag and copy, nothing fancy.

Then I copied "FILE" to another computer. I unencrypted the NON-hidden volume, extracted the files. Then I put "FILE" in the recycle bin. I then used CCleaner to try to wipe it.

I noticed after a computer restart that "FILE" was no longer but that all the stuff in the hidden volume had been exposed in the recycle bin. I restored them to my desktop to see if they had the right contents and whether everything was in there and lo and behold they were.

So wtf?
Jan 10, 2016 at 6:07 PM
Edited Jan 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM
What do you mean by " I unencrypted the NON-hidden volume" ?
mounting the encrypted volume and copying the data to a non-encrypted place?
Did you dismount afterwards?

This is very strange, if there are no missing intermediate steps

EDIT: please dont double-post:
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/649824
Jan 10, 2016 at 6:17 PM
You say you put the un-encrypted "FILE" in the recycle bin. So are we talking file, or directory, or volume? If we are talking directory are you saying the hidden volume was inside the directory?

And when you say that you created an encrypted file. Do you mean volume?
Jan 10, 2016 at 11:56 PM
Edited Jan 10, 2016 at 11:56 PM
I mounted FILE, I typed password "abc" which opened

However, i had a hidden volume inside that contained "file2", which is accessed by mounting FILE and typing password "123"

file2 was exposed upon ccleaning the FILE.
Jan 11, 2016 at 12:15 AM
FILE is an actual file.
Jan 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2016 at 3:42 PM
So you created a file-based VC container "Container.FILE"
In the standard volume you placed "standard.file" using password "abc"
You added a hidden container
You placed "hidden.file" in the hidden container using password "123"

You copied Container.FILE to another system and mounted Container.FILE's standard volume using password "abc"
You dismounted Container.FILE and used secure delete of CCleaner to delete Container.FILE.

After a reboot, hidden.file was in the Recycler with unencrypted content

correct?
Jan 11, 2016 at 3:51 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2016 at 3:52 PM
RandomNameforCode wrote:
So you created a file-based VC container "Container.FILE"
In the standard volume you placed "standard.file" using password "abc"
You added a hidden container
You placed "hidden.file" in the hidden container using password "123"

You copied Container.FILE to another system and mounted Container.FILE's standard volume using password "abc"
You dismounted Container.FILE and used secure delete of CCleaner to delete Container.FILE.

After a reboot, hidden.file was in the Recycler with unencrypted content

correct?
100% Correct.

Edit: Technically it was the CONTENTS of hidden.file in the Recycler.
Jan 13, 2016 at 2:08 AM
Can I get some sort of update on this because it seems to be a really big bug and I duno does anybody here care or...?
Jan 13, 2016 at 9:06 AM
bort226655 wrote:
Can I get some sort of update on this because it seems to be a really big bug and I duno does anybody here care or...?
bort226655, I think nobody is replying, because everybody thinks, that in case you can replicate this operation(s), you will be hired by the NSA and I am sure they will pay you more than you have ever dreamed of.... to use CCleaner in your very special way :)

On a more serious note, can you replicate that?
Jan 13, 2016 at 12:34 PM
That's the point.
If you can reproduce that, let us know.
I can't believe that this happened like that.

Are you sure that it is impossible that the hidden data have ever been stored on the second laptop besides in the hidden container which you never opened up on that system?
Jan 13, 2016 at 4:26 PM
RandomNameforCode wrote:
That's the point.
If you can reproduce that, let us know.
I can't believe that this happened like that.

Are you sure that it is impossible that the hidden data have ever been stored on the second laptop besides in the hidden container which you never opened up on that system?
This I am sure of since this is the first time I ever transferred any of those files there.
Jan 13, 2016 at 8:48 PM
Final Update:

I have been unable to replicate the results. Since it is far more likely there was a lapse in my memory than a problem with the program, I will for the moment assume that was the cause of this whole episode.