This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

A Few Suggestions (I'm Not Writing Them All Here :P)

Topics: Feature Requests
Jan 9, 2016 at 9:11 PM
I downloaded verracrypt for my pc for full hdd encryption and I love it but I recently thought of a few suggestions

1: Portable Verracrypt:
A portable version of verracrypt that can be put on a flash drive and decrypted on a system that you don't have admin access on. This would be sooo useful :)

2: Idea for Random Generator:
You could help seed it by using a picture form a webcam... (I think this would work.... i'm new to this :P)

3: Full Linux Support:
Being a avid Linux user i just really want this :)

4; Make Fully Encrypted CD/DVDs (Not Sure If This Is Currently A Thing)

Lastly:
Is there a beta I can get involved in? I really love this so far and would love to help bug test!

Christopher AKA Sciguy429

NOTE: I am "pretty sure" this is in the right place... sorry if it isn't
Jan 10, 2016 at 5:26 PM
Edited Jan 10, 2016 at 5:26 PM
  1. VC is portable https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Portable%20Mode
    but it requires admin rights. It needs to access the disk directly, so I think there is not way to do that without admin/superuser rights on any of the supported os.
  2. You can greate 700MB / 4,something GB container and use it, I dont see a problem?!
Remark: 2. is actually 4. - the board software shows it up as 2. ?!
Jan 10, 2016 at 8:21 PM
In regards to the CD thing I meant that the CD would have a executable file that would request the password then decrypt the CD... Same with the drive
Jan 10, 2016 at 11:23 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2016 at 12:06 AM
RandomNameforCode wrote:
  1. VC is portable https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Portable%20Mode
    but it requires admin rights. It needs to access the disk directly, so I think there is not way to do that without admin/superuser rights on any of the supported os.
  2. You can greate 700MB / 4,something GB container and use it, I dont see a problem?!
Remark: 2. is actually 4. - the board software shows it up as 2. ?!
Excuse my poorly formatted reply earlier...(It was posted on my phone :P)

To clarify for idea 2 I meant to setup the cd as a readonly traveler disk (Not sure if this is possible for the average user)
The disk would contain a directory structure like this:
CD/DVD/FLASHDRIVE Root dir :
verracrypt.exe (Could be named anything... this is what would be launched for mobile decryption)
Encryption (Directory, Contains encrypted containers as well as tmp files) This would contain:
     VerraCrypt (Directory, Contains any files needed by verracrypt.exe)         
     Containers (Directory for containers)
Excuse my terrible ascii art...

The system would work as follows:

Step 1: User chooses mobile option in verracrypt they either chose to use a writable media (Like a portable hdd) or a read-only medium (CD/DVD)
The only difference between the two would be that the read-only option would require the user to supply the files that he/she wanted to encrypt now (as obviously they couldn't be written later :P)
Step 2: User selects medium (If using read-only they have to option to insert a CD/DVD or create a .iso file that they can burn themselves)
Step 3: The medium is prepared (For the writable medium this would include formatting it to the users preference, For the read-only medium this would be the location of the .iso file and the size of it.)
Step 4: Configure the containers (For either media this would be preparing the containers there names as well as there passwords, here is were the files for the read-only medium would be supplied.)
Step 5 Finalization: (Final Configuration Writes all files and gives option to automatically burn a CD/DVD for read-only users)

Decryption would work as follows:

Step 1: User launches Verracrypt.exe (Ui looks like this):

Verracrypt Portable VX.xxx
Available Containers:
Name Mount/Dismount Status
Container1 mount Not Mounted N/A
Container2 mount Not Mounted N/A
Container3 dismount Mounted Container Options
Add/Remove (only on writable)) Dismount All Preferences (Again only permanent on writable)

They can mount, unmount, add/remove and configure there containers
The benefits of this is it is all self contained all required files are on the medium and it much easier to set up for more basic users

NOTE; Only after writing this whole darn thing did I realize traveler disk is just this... Facepalm So just add the read-only CD/DVD Feature. (I kid you not i'm literally smacking my head on my desk right now.... that took soooooooo long to write :P)

Sorry if there is any spelling mistakes or grammar issues (If you find any please tell me)
Any suggestions are happy accepted :) (I cant think of everything my self)

Christopher AKA Sciguy429
```
Jan 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM
"read-only CD/DVD Feature"? CD-R and DVD-R ARE read-only. Otherwise it is +-RW.
You can just mount the CD/DVD-hosted container in VC. Is will be read-only anyway (I hope VC detects that the file is read-only and does mount it as read-only.